Crazy Case of Police Abuse

Won’t be much debate on this one. Just another story about a small town on a highway abusing its jurisdiction to fleece passersby.

These stories always make me fume.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/police-in-this-tiny-alabama-town-suck-drivers-into-legal-black-hole.html

3 Likes

Makes me mad also. The article says that the feds might get involved. It will be interesting if there is a follow-up on what measures the state or feds make. And I hope that this story will get around and this little town won’t get the constant supply of folks there.

2 Likes

I read this story today. Totally insane. The mayor and police chief see nothing wrong with what is going on. Blows my mind.

1 Like

They named the drug dog “K9 cash” … because they are really motivated by law and order and not confiscating money.

Brazen.

2 Likes

The state needs to,step in here. Revoke or limit their police authority if necessary.

3 Likes

I’d like to see the judiciary step in to deal with the judge overseeing this cash machine. I don’t know the specific structure of the local court, but the judiciary has ways to police itself. Hard to imagine the judge didn’t see what was happening and maybe even helped by dragging out the process to wear down those who contested.

3 Likes

I generally support police, but these scum deserve jail, along with the mayor & most of the town’s government.

2 Likes

I wonder if they can. Who or what government agency can do anything in that state?

Would that fall under the US DOJ?

“Police Misconduct Provision”

This law makes it unlawful for State or local law enforcement officers to engage in a pattern or practice of conduct that deprives persons of rights protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States. (34 U.S.C. § 12601). The types of conduct covered by this law can include, among other things, excessive force, discriminatory harassment, false arrests, coercive sexual conduct, and unlawful stops, searches or arrests. In order to be covered by this law, the misconduct must constitute a “pattern or practice” – it may not simply be an isolated incident. The DOJ must be able to show in court that the agency has an unlawful policy or that the incidents constituted a pattern of unlawful conduct. However, unlike the other civil laws discussed below, DOJ does not have to show that discrimination has occurred in order to prove a pattern or practice of misconduct. What remedies are available under this law? The remedies available under this law do not provide for individual monetary relief for the victims of the misconduct. Rather, they provide for injunctive relief, such as orders to end the misconduct and changes in the agency’s policies and procedures that resulted in or allowed the misconduct. There is no private right of action under this law; only DOJ may file suit for violations of the Police Misconduct Provision.

I would say this qualifies. But I have no idea.

2 Likes

If they can’t under current law, the legislature could change the law.

In the 50s and 60s this practice used to be a cliché, particularly in the south … small towns using speed traps to catch unwary Yankies to fund local government. I’m not surprised at all that the practice still exists.

1 Like

This is Society Hill, South Carolina. When I appeared to fight my ticket, the line was over two hundred people long, outside. They called us in in groups of about 40, then gave you a speech about whether you want to see the judge or the chief. The chief would settle the case for a lessor violation and cash and do so in seconds.

We had an issue like this about 10 years back in one of our towns. It didn’t last once the state got involved.

1 Like

Not much different then using federal government agencies to go after political opponents.

1 Like

Just cant help yourself can you?

6 Likes

Too bad…truth hurts?

2 Likes

I think it is totally different.

Political groups are equipped for battle, expect it and participate in it. They are supported by large groups of focused people who provide resources and pressure to fight back… and win.

These are people doing nothing more than using the public roadway. They were not in battle with this town, have no constituency and must draw from thier own resources to fight back.

Conceptually both abuses are wrong, but the difference is comparable to me punching an adult and me punching a child.

1 Like

Right, like using homeland security to go after parents.

5 Likes

Perhaps. And in that situation my response would be criticism specific to the abuse rather than “not much different than than the Brookside police going after motorists for money”.

I lived in one of those town for a couple of years in the early 70’s.

You would get a speeding ticket for doing one mile over the limit. You just had to learn to actually do the speed limit. They didn’t care if you were yank or local.

People didn’t particularly like it but i don’t see any justification for bringing in feds.