COVID-19 Deaths per million by country. US is #9

I thought this was an interesting statistic. I have not tried to delve into the reasons for each countries ranking. I would assume the age of the population is likely one of the factors. I’m curious if others here have looked into this. As part of this conversation I would include that based on my research, every country listed above the US has a healthcare system rated better than the US.

1 Like

Without knowing how far the infections have spread in each country as a percentage of population, it would be difficult to definitively narrow down to causal factors for deaths per capita.

Spain is an interesting case. One of the largest most robust serosurveys yet done (90,000 people, of whom about 70,000 have had results read out) is almost done there. It suggests only about 5% of all residents have been exposed/infected yet…higher in the cities (Madrid, for example, is yielding about a 14% exposure/infection rate). That doesn’t bode well for them if a second wave comes.

Spain and Italy have a higher percentage of older people than the US…Italy had a very “touchy/feely” culture leading into the pandemic, plus they were already near a recession which may have led them to delay taking any measures.

Sweden, of course, didn’t follow everyone else’s lockdown plans although they practiced a lot of voluntary social distancing.

But we really need to get a handle just how many people in the US have been infected/exposed.

My “gut feeling” (no evidence to speak of) is outside the original hotspots (Seattle, LA, SF, Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia) the virus hasn’t spread very far yet.

.>

This site has an interesting table that it sortable by different columns.

We have 4% of the worlds population but have 32% of the cases.

Again 4% of the population and are the leader in deaths (by a factor of 3).

If you sort by total cases per million then the list shows us as 12th, however there are some quirks that drive us down because some places with very small populations of had some cases, so their per/million case number is high even though they don’t have a million people.
.WW

1 Like

What the hell!?!

What clarification do you need?

My “gut feeling”

I thought DATA!!!

1 Like

I’m not asking anyone to believe it.

There’s a bit of data behind it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Layman.

What’s interesting about that is how China’s case count has essentially stopped at 80,000. China’s case count hasn’t changed for over a month.

i’m betting population density is a huge factor.

Well if we had absolute control of our internal media we could stop our country from going up too.

Or follow Trump’s lead and just stop testing.

No COVID tests…no COVID.

:sunglasses:

It’s always the factor in airborne virus. We know it spreads through the air sneezing, coughing, and in some studies breathing etc… More compacted one is the more likely they will get the virus.

You don’t actually believe the numbers coming out of China do you?

Yeah. I’m thinking because of the size of the population of China that is going to be a real distortion in the count per million of cases/deaths.
Remember when Russia remarkably had no cases…and then they had tons. How N Korea had zero cases but was willing to accept help?

1 Like

Of course it is. And, if you wanted to run with the statistics the media likes to use, image the cases per thousand in counties run by Democrats as opposed to counties run by Republicans…of course it would really be because the big cities are mostly Democrat.

What data suggests that the worst is yet to come? Because that’s what your post implies.

The serological studies, including a really good one finishing up in Spain, that seem to indicate outside of hot spot areas that only single digit percentages of people have been exposed/infected.

It’s my gut our pattern here is the same as Spain’s (Germany was similar).

More and better tests in the US would confirm or deny my gut.

Here’s my counter argument. Right now based on the numbers I just looked at the number of confirmed cases is 1.5 million nation wide and about 500 million are NY & NJ. Less than 1/3. A few weeks back NY& NJ had accounted for over 1/2 of the nation’s cases. So my extrapolation from that is that in the two initial hotspots we are seeing a subsiding of cases in regards to the national numbers, which can be viewed as a potential positive sign. Only time will tell.

no, not unless i can multiply by 5

How do you calculate the death rate for COVID?

Deaths÷Total Cases?