Could poverty be inability to prioritize expenses?

We were on welfare in 1965, off in 1966. Mom found a job (she was a stay at home mom) as a head start teacher. Put herself though college, got her degree. All with help from family. Without family, we would have been hopeless. Welfare was terrible. Section 8 housing was also bad (basement apartment in east orange). We had lived in a single family house in Belleville. Sometimes it’s amazing how good my life has been after such a rotten start. But such is life.

Allan

1 Like

It’s obviously a combination of many things, but i think basic home economics need to be taught in school. It should be up to the parents, but most of them don’t get it either.

1 Like

How so?

Everyone’s and no one’s. Society. Humanity. Power dynamics.

Pointing fingers and assigning blame is just a way to avoid actually looking at the problem.

There is an interest by LIBs to keep people in poverty. Its good for power and votes.

Define poverty.

I grew up in poverty. but always had a roof over my head and was never food poor. I also started out my married life in poverty. Again I always had a roof over my head and was never food poor.

Living in poverty isn’t a death knell.

I’m wondering if by poverty you might mean abject poverty. That is a whole different animal altogether.

Every situation is different. The real question is what one does about bettering their individual circumstances. For those unable to, government and private charities have a role to play. But even there, ones choices do have consequences. I believe that is what this OP is about, priorities and choices.

1 Like

Metrics and pedantics are irrelevant to what I’m saying.

I’m sorry to hear that, and I’m glad you always had a roof over your head, and always had food.

Of course it isn’t.

I mean poverty in a very inclusive way.

You’d think one would also question why the elite are so eager to push “green” initiatives then.

Must be more specific. Most of those living in poverty in this country don’t wonder where their next meal is coming from or where they will sleep tonight.

Why??? I’m not. I had a rich and fulfilling childhood. I didn’t realize I grew up in poverty until much later in life when I was able to understand what it meant.

Ok, fair enough. I wasn’t trying to be a smart ass.

I’m glad you look back on your childhood with fondness.

Well, no. I’m not trying to be specific, that’s my whole point.

What I see is a broad brush characterization of those living below the poverty line. Most are doing just fine.

I think it’s about something called ‘Food Deserts’ where there are only convenience stores in the local area, and they don’t have a grocery store nearby.

It’s mostly about access to produce.

1 Like

You do?

I did notice growing up you really didn’t have much of a grocery store in some of the poorer towns/cities. The little they did have closed early for safety reasons. Then there’s theft. It really isn’t worth it to put a big store in those areas. But they had plenty of fast food.

I knew a lot of people growing up in north Jersey. I can’t say I’ve met anyone that didn’t in large part make their own bed. Once you’re in a bad place it’s not easy crawling out.

1 Like

Yeah I missed that memo.

Most employers want a working phone—not necessarily a mobile number.

There are college grads underemployed in jobs not related to their majors and high school grads who have interesting jobs.

Increasingly public and private employers offer some levels of tuition assistance to give their employees a chance to better their education & move up as well as other benefits.

Yes, some of the poor are people who don't know how to prioritize expenses. About 20 years ago, there was a book called "The Millionaire Next Door", about "average" people who acquired a high net work through habits of thrift. They bought used cars, didn't take lavish vacations, lived modestly, saved. I was reading an article about budgeting recently and one of the commenters stated that a friend had a rule that you spend as little as possible on things that don't appreciate - which is basically good real estate. Everything else was bought discount, used, at thrift shops.
I think, in our tech age, where we can access so much immediately, the whole notion of delayed gratification is gone. The philosophy seems to be 'why save up for something when you can have it right now?'

Yes, there are poor people who are living at a subsistence level - only able to make rent, food, transportation. But there are also people who just don’t understand that “budget” is also a verb.