Could obama hypothetically be elected VP

Yes, and that makes him ineligible to be president.

Last line of the 12 restricts VP to only those eligible to be president.

One two punch makes it so he can’t be VP.

Are the dems that hard up (after the first two sets of debates) that they need to reserect Obama???

1 Like

I’d buy a seat for that clown show. lol

If you really want to bring Obama back, then he’d presumably serve your interests far more effectively and for a longer period on the Supreme Court.

Because constitutionally once president he/she could not be elected to VP due to the fact that if the elected president died in office the VP could not legally become president…true???

Well, whomever started this thread was speculating on the VP position. I’m pretty sure all candidates are familiar with the Constitution and requirements for the presidency.

I don’t recall anyone from the four debates even mentioning Obama as a VP candidate. Speculation from the OP.

It’s really black and white…hes not eligible.

It would seem so. This is high school government/civics class.

I think that technically the answer is yes, Obama could be elected as Vice President. However, he could not serve more that two years as president since he has already been elected twice to the office of President:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

He is eligible through succession. He is simply prevented from being elected. 22nd is a limitation on one method of becoming president, not on ever being president again.

I agree it’s black and white. He cannot be elected president.

But he could become POTUS through succession.

No. He cannot.

why not?
where in the constitution does it say. that being president twice make him ineligible to be president again. hes ineligible to be elected again but not to serve

1 Like

From the 12th amendment as quoted by @Safiel…who is very much spot on on these kind of things.

But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

The 12th Amendment is very much in force.

Obama is ineligible. Period.

K1: because he’s already served he is not able to hold office of president again. Therefore constitutionally ineligible.

No. It’s been explained a couple of times in this thread.

You’re wrong.
Read what the constitution actually says- not what someone tells you it says.

You are correct.

The 22nd doesn’t say it makes someone ineligible to be President, just that they can’t be elected twice.

People are extrapolating the 22nd to be part of the eligibility requirement of the 12th amendment.

There is no clear answer, because the 22nd was not considered in the 12th.

There is a clear answer. Obama is not ineligible for the presidency. He is ineligible from being elected president.
The same goes for Clinton and Bush.

We are.

One amendment says they can only be elected to 2 terms. Obama is constitutionally ineligible to run for a third term (aka, ineligible under the constitution to be president.) The other amendment says only those constitutionaly eligible to be president can be VP. He is ineligible to be president, and can not be VP.

He is not ineligible to be president. You cannot show me that in the 22 Amendment or any other part of the constitution.