Cost of Living and Tax Burden by State: Topic related to living wage

4 bedroom, 3 bath 2,200 square foot home. property tax: $590 (that’s county, state, school and city)

My state tax paid was about 2 grand.

Dear Lord I could only dream of that property tax. My place is a little over half that size and they keep jacking my property tax up each year. Although housing has been slowing here so maybe will get some relief.

Incorrect.

As with Clinton what reduced the deficits towards the end was his losing Congress.

This only worked because so-called Republican moderates, who would be quite spendthrift normally, will cooperate with conservatives on spending if and only if there is a Democrat in the White House. When theres a Republican in the White House they will reach across the isle to the ever eager to spend Democrats (who know their base will not blame them for deficits even as Republicans will suffer with their base) and indulge their pent up urge to spend freely.

May I ask what the value of your home is?

I live in Texas. My mortgage, property taxes and insurance come out to about $32,500 per year. But I’m on a 15 year mortgage and live in a 3000sqft home in a burb of Houston.

Some time ago I cam across (from memory) …

Meanwhile, over at Home and Garden channel, he’s a part time draftsman and she’s a barista, their budget for this home renovation is $1 million…

I would have to double check but I believe the assessed value is around $280,000. If we were to put it on the market today I would probably ask around $320,000. Not sure what we would actually get because property values have still been somewhat sluggish in my area.

Does that include state taxes as well? I remember reading that property taxes in Texas were high but not as high as NJ. I also had a neighbor who was moving to Texas for his job and he was going to be able to buy a lot more house for his buck that what he had in NJ. Nonetheless that number sounds really high?

Where do you live? Is that $590 for the year?

My property taxes are about $7000 on a valuation of a little over $300,000, or 2.31%. In my previous home which was a new build, the property taxes were 3.1%. I know some who have a rate of 3.3 - 3.5%. These numbers include all levels of property tax - school, municipality, county, LID, MUD, etc. That’s why it varies quite a bit.

Rural Utah. And looking I got it backwords. Homeowners insurance $590/year. Property tax is $660. (well $559 and change so i send them a 660 check and the change is credited to next year :smile: )

Apparently, when you adjust GDP per capita for the cost of living (which is a more apples to apples approach) Utah averages out almost $1K per year higher than Germany. More than a grand vs Sweden.

Is $7,000 on the high end for Texas? For NJ $10,000 is pretty normal. NJ also has high state and sales taxes as well. How are those taxes in Texas.

Sounds like tax wise and cost of living that would be a great place to retire!

Dude!

I looked up New Jersey’s general taxes and one place had more than $12 per hundred in valuation! I guess it really isn’t theft when the government is doing it.

(another had barely over 2, some even lower, but 12%?)

We have had a ton of out of state move in’s the last couple years (mostly retured because there is no industry here).

On couple that was talking to some people this summer said they sold their home where they lived, bought their home here with cash, paid off all their vehicles, and still was able to put money in the bank. Now they do nothing and live off the retirment payment each month from the husbands work (few years they will get the retirment and SS payments).

And you get to see country like this everyday (pic taken from my drone at about 200 feet in a place that’s about 10 minutes from my house).

I’m sold! I’ll just have to convince my wife.:heart_eyes:

Poverty by county… whole lotta RED in RED states, seems to go together. They are tax burdens on the rest of the states.

It depends? I think my rate is actually on the lower end in my area at 2.3%.

We don’t have state income tax. Sales tax in my area is 8.25%.

If you can convince her best girl friends and their husbands to go with you she might not feel dislocated and might end up being happier.

Or your phone bill could be lower.

Either way…