Coronavirus Thread Political II

Raise the profit and see what happens.

He didn’t think they’d be needed by the time they got off the line.

I have a feeling we are going to agree to disagree on everything in this discussion save for this, so in the spirit of good discussion I will focus on that.

Are you sure he wasn’t “interested”? I say he was more concerned about what he perceived as the greater threat. And he hasn’t been proven wrong yet. Do I need to report my human nature post?

OK I agree- he was focusing on what he perceived to be a greater threat. The question becomes how to get his attention by pointing out the threat of pandemic couldn’t be wished away, and actually INCREASED the threat he was likely worried about?

Actually there’s one more area of agreement.

That is an economic result. Driven by business decisions. The government does not make PPE nor does it have the logistics to handle it. You would have had warehouses full of unusable materials rats had been in. And a lot of that stuff has a shelf life.

I also agreed with this- I pointed it out- it was an economic decision to have much of this capability offshored. I wasn’t talking about warehouses stocked to the gills with PPE like N95 masks.

I was talking about making sure that being able to rapidly make stuff like this should be prioritized as being in country. What types of capabilities could be decided by upgrading our surveillance capabilities as well…to better predict what types of disease threats we might be facing. PPE would likely be the same no matter what infectious agent existed or what disease it was.

It’s going to take him that long to retool?

Not a government decision.

Surveillance?

The size of the need for the PPE won’t because respiratory infections are harder to isolate. It’s one of the big problems with them.

How do we make sure we can make it here?

She made several solid points and refused the media bait on speculation. I watched the entire update yesterday.

:chart_with_downwards_trend:

1 Like

He doesn’t want to.

No, I don’t think he does, but I also think he’s right. By the time they retool and ramp up production, they’ll be unnecessary.

Excellent question. In hindsight. I explained why it doesn’t happen.

You don’t shut down the plant on a sunny day.

He still hasn’t been proven wrong by the data.

It’s a huge risk for him. It’s not what he does.

1 Like

I suppose…same reason why if global warming is a threat we won’t do anything about it…even those that think it is won’t do anything…because the human mind massively discounts the future in favor of the present.

Made sense when we were scrawny primates with no natural defenses against predators. The slow changes in the background didn’t matter anywhere near as much as the tiger sneaking up on you to eat you.

Somehow we have to find the way to make the future important enough to pay attention to when it’s important to pay attention to it.

4 Likes

Not bad. In their context. She doesn’t understand the private sector.

2 Likes

Now you’ve done it. “We” who?

The same is true today. Just different tigers.

Who decides “when it’s important”?

@JayJay do you see the philosophical differences between our two contexts?

I wish it appeared that Trump put as much thought into this as you have.

Thanks but I just read. Others have done the heavy lifting.

:sunglasses:

Yes JayJay the POTUS is asking the country for 15 days. In hopes of collecting empirical evidence to be the strong indicator on how to combat not only this pandemic, but also future health crisis’ that will surely crop up. It took a national mandate to shut down our way of life as we know it for a lot more people to start behaving more responsibly. And these type of preventative measures are something we all can easily practice now and forever more.

What National Mandate? There has not been a mandate from the Federal Government. Only local governments and State governments have issued any mandates. What are you referring to here?

1 Like

15 days was never going to be enough time.

He’s hinting at measures to restart areas of the country without any empirical evidence that this is the right thing to do, and with little evidence, given the state of the rest of the world, will offer much in the way of economic benefit.

And he’s giving no indication he’s built a framework on which to base these decisions. It appears a lurching from position to position based on who he has talked to last.

This isn’t confidence-building.

1 Like