Cornell University leads the way with its vaccination program

Heh :+1:

Natural immunity is much more effective and longer-lasting than that from the vaccine.

You best bet may be to get COVID soon after the last shot so that you can develop natural immunity to future variants while the risks of serious symptoms are low.

1 Like

and what makes you think the vaccine will protect anyone from that variant? if anything the naturally immune will be more protected. best thing that can happen now is for those who have been vaccinated to get delta. it will enhance their immunity at little risk. (not suggesting, just stating)

According to the Cornell stats they have a 0.88% positivity rate. That is extremely low, so I am not sure what the concern is here.

2 Likes

“I won’t trust any vaccine trump is pushing” its a paraphrase

But he would trust it if the scientists say it is safe, which they have

Mr. Biden said Wednesday that he would personally take a vaccine if scientists said it was safe, even if it were approved under Mr. Trump’s watch. “Absolutely, do it, yes,” he said, answering a question from a reporter.

nice of him to say after undermining it

2 Likes

what fascist nanny state, wearing a mask isn’t fascism.

I hate Trudeau as much as the next guy, but he isn’t a fascist.

Obviously, all variants are a great unknowns.

He said it at the same time. He said he would not trust a vaccine just on Trump’s say-so, but continued to say that if the scientists sid it was safe he would trust it.

yes, after undermining it.

2 Likes

Saying I would not trust Trump but I would trust the scientists is not undermining. But, if you think the people not taking the vaccine at this point in time are doing so because they don’t trust Trump, well, based on his history of lying I guess I can’t really argue against that.

as opposed to biden’s? thats funny.

and yes, it was undermining, even to the extent of suggesting any vaccine that came out before the election was suspect. in fact, they did such a good job sowing doubt the fda had to delay emergency use a few extra weeks to shore up confidence in the vaccine. thousands died needlessly as a result

3 Likes

cant wait to see answers to this question

Or the moving goalpost for vaccine efficacy. Efficacy numbers for the vaccine EUAs and ultimate approval are based on reduction in moderate to severe disease. Same thing used for the yearly flu vaccine which is reduction in flu-like illness. Now people are trying to change efficacy for the COVID vaccine to mean reduction in any laboratory confirmed infection. The COVID vaccines remain highly effective, much higher than the year flu vaccines when comparing apples to apples. The first goal in vaccination is prevention of serious disease. Next is moderate disease, then symptomatic disease, last comes prevention of laboratory confirmed cases.

Then there’s the flawed Israeli study (Simpson paradox, look it up) that used relative instead of absolute risk when comparing natural to vaccine immunity. Using relative risk when comparing rare events is a great way to make something insignificant appear monumental. It gets readers and makes anti-vaxxers foam at the mouth.

K1:
Which Serological studies are you referring to? I’d like to read the studies you refer to here.

K1:
What are you basing this on?

What’s this got to do with anything other than a football game.

the only thing moving goal posts on efficacy is your post.

95% efficacy means 95% of those who get the vaccine are 100% immune while the vaccine is active, and 5% are 0% immune. severity comes into play only for the 5%.

Nope…that is not efficacy…I don’t know what that is but it is not the definition of efficacy in how well a vaccine works.

A vaccine’s efficacy is measured in a controlled clinical trial and is based on how many people who got vaccinated developed the ‘outcome of interest’ (usually disease) compared with how many people who got the placebo (dummy vaccine) developed the same outcome. Once the study is complete, the numbers of sick people in each group are compared, in order to calculate the relative risk of getting sick depending on whether or not the subjects received the vaccine. From this we get the efficacy – a measure of how much the vaccine lowered the risk of getting sick. If a vaccine has high efficacy, a lot fewer people in the group who received the vaccine got sick than the people in the group who received the placebo.

So, for example, let’s imagine a vaccine with a proven efficacy of 80%. This means that – out of the people in the clinical trial – those who received the vaccine were at a 80% lower risk of developing disease than the group who received the placebo. This is calculated by comparing the number of cases of disease in the vaccinated group versus the placebo group. An efficacy of 80% does not mean that 20% of the vaccinated group will become ill.

95% efficacy means that those who got the vaccine in the trial group have a 95% lower risk of developing the disease than those who received the placebo. Not that 95% of those who get the vaccine are completely immune.