Cop flips over a pregnant driver's car because she didn't pull over fast enough

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/arkansas-state-police-car-flip-pull-over_n_60c2330ee4b0e6bab7a5452a

Dunn approaches the flipped car. As he helps Harper out of the vehicle, he asks: “Why didn’t you stop?”

“Because I didn’t feel like it was safe,” Harper answers. Dunn responds: “Well, this is where you ended up.”

“I thought it would be safe to wait until the exit,” Harper replies, to which Dunn says: “No ma’am, you pull over when law enforcement stops you.”

Harper later says: “I did slow down, I turned on my hazards. I thought I was doing the right thing.”

In the Arkansas State Police’s Driver License Study Guide, the first item for “what to do when you are stopped by a law enforcement officer” is: “Pull over to the right side of the road ― activate your turn signal or emergency flashers to indicate to the officer that you are seeking a safe place to stop.”

That cop should be brought up on charges. What an ■■■■■■■■

1 Like

Ok. So the woman didn’t immediately pull over. Got it. But in no way did she demonstrate she was being reckless or dangerous to other drivers on the road. She put on hazards and slowed down. There was zero reason for this cop to perform a pit maneuver in order to stop her.

We’re hearing one side of the story, of course.

But if dashcam video shows that she put on her flashers like she said she did, the cop is toast.

Media will certainly run with just the one side of the story, of course.

The video is in the linked article in the OP.

After posting, I watched the video.

Cop is toast.

2 Likes

That’s absolutely outrageous. I may not believe in “defunding,” but bad cops need to be removed and this is clearly one of them.

This is what the Arkansas State Police said in a statement:

“Over the past five years, Arkansas State Troopers have documented a 52% increase in incidents of drivers making a conscious choice to ignore traffic stops initiated by the troopers,” Bryant said. “The fleeing drivers pull away at a high rate of speed, wildly driving, dangerously passing other vehicles, showing no regard for the safety of other motorists, creating an imminent threat to the public.”

Doesn’t seem to be particularly relevant to this case, does it?

1 Like

What about the spokesperson who defended the maneuver? The bosses who told the spokesperson what to say?

Are they “bad cops”, too?

not at all…

She’s probably not going to win her suit, though.

Qualified immunity.

1 Like

Nope.

It happened a year ago.

The cop is still a cop.

1 Like

I got chewed out once for not pulling right over, again there was barrier on the shoulder so I put on my turn signal, slowed down and waited when there was larger shoulder and actual light post.

I was thinking about cop protection. Reason he pulled me over was because I was driving erratically…so he claimed.

That’s what happens when you drive a large redneck looking PU.

Needless to say I called him on it.

I was pulled over for not wearing a seat belt, my truck was dark brown, I was wearing brown Cohartt coat, my interior was…you guess it brown.

I told him I was wearing my seat belt, he said I put in on after he pulled me over.

Again driving a big Redneck PU. Went to court, picture of truck and interior wearing my Cohartt jacket. Judge looked at me and said dismissed. Judge knew what was going on.

This cop was looking for excuse to do that maneuver…life was getting too boring for him.

I think we can add pit maneuver to the prohibited list with chokehold.

Could have been much worse.

1 Like

I don’t know why you’re poking at me when this is one instance we actually agree on.

While we agree that this incident was egregious, I certainly don’t agree that this is about one “bad cop”.

1 Like

He’s still employed. That would be a starting point.

Not really. This isn’t about the one cop. They’re interchangeable.

The problem is what cops are allowed - or even encouraged - to do.

5 Likes

Ya that video is rough the cop needs to be let go immediately before he kills someone. Or put him in a basement working like they did that guy in the movie office space.

Not to this case. Dashcam tells us that.