Cop Enters Wrong Apartment, kills Neighbor - No Charges

Depends on what the prosecutor asks for and gets. Sometimes they can convict on lesser charges. Other times its all or nothing.

No but I can make an educated guess based on my experience and knowledge of the criminal justice system.

Same way I don’t know for certain that one of the following teams will win the superbowl this year: Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs, Rams, or Saints. Yet I feel safe saying one of them will just like I feel safe saying that Guyger will give a moving and tearful testimony of how she ****** up and really thought she was at her apartment and there was a stranger in it. Which will lead to at a bare minimum a hung jury on a murder charge if not an exoneration. Now as Janet says if they have the option of convicting on a lesser charge like manslaughter I believe she would be convicted.

Are they going to pull another Zimmerman?

She’ll take a deal.

Isn’t that up to the Judge? Or does it vary per State law?

Is there one on the table?

Here’s a couple of things you can bet on.

1. She won’t be offered a deal. She’ll be tried for murder. This case is a political hot potato in Dallas. Letting her plead down would be a career ender for the new DA.

2. The trial will be moved out of Dallas County.

It will be extremely difficult to get a murder conviction. Manslaughter is more likely. A full acquittal is possible.
I doubt her lawyers will let her testify. Local rumor is that she is a smart-ass and that will sink her in front of a jury. She’ll be told to wear Bo-Peep dresses and to keep her head down and sob a lot.

Some attorneys even provide a change of clothes in office for their clients.

I don’t even know this woman. Does she have a record of hostility against black police officers? Or subjects?

I don’t see how she can’t be held responsible for the death of Botham Jean. But can intent be proved for that murder conviction?

Many police officers work odd shifts. From years of experience doing this in health care, 3rd shift can make sleep difficult, & if she was doing extra hours, her judgment would have been additionally off.

Unless racist sentiments or a dispute with Botham Jean come up, how will prosecutors show intent?

Before she erased them, her social media accounts were full of things like “You need to thank me for having the patience not to kill you” and “I dress in black every day just to be ready for your funeral”. You can find that on GOOGLE, if you are interested.
I don’t know if she has an attitude toward Blacks. The scuttlebutt is that she has a tough guy, smart alecky personality.

The DA’s going for a murder charge is political. The victim’s family has been demanding it as well as the vocal Dallas Black activists.

His claim is that she knew exactly what she was doing when she pulled the trigger. I think that is very thin reasoning for concluding it was murder.
He’s got a murder indictment and will try her for it. If she is acquitted of it (I think she will be), he can say that he did all that he could do.

Looking up Amber Guyger, it appears she worked an elite unit that conducted high risk level arrests. The first shooting didn’t involve death to the subject, who had committed parole violation & made a try for an officer’s Taser.

He was then shot by Officer Guyger & didn’t deny his offenses. I’m not sure how that incident can be used against Amber Guyger at trial.

There is no one who has said Botham Jean was a bad person, nor does it appear he was. But intent to kill will, IMO, be difficult to prove, especially since she had just gotten off a 12 hour shift due to a late arrest. Won’t be losing any sleep if a manslaughter conviction results.

“You can find that on GOOGLE”

Oy, what was she doing posting about a short fuse & killing before dying?

Although I have to admit I like her post about “the NFL dying of Colin Cancer.”

I respected his take a kneel for the cause of equal treatment of minorities in police custody, but lost that respect once he went to pig socks & praising Fidel Castro.

Which is not actually what she said and not how you said. You already did a thread on this. It was a commonly shared meme of a Minion (from Despicable Me) about having the patience to not stab everyone. I’ve seen it many times and it the kind of thing that gets shared with frequency around any and all workplaces.

Texas ain’t Florida

I imagine there will be for a variety of reasons, but even if she doesn’t get a formal offer to bring it back down to manslaughter with a plea, she can always throw herself to the mercy of the court.

There certainly was a PR effort by the police in the beginning to create the narrative he was, but it was quashed by a public well informed by previous experience.

You may be right, but if a jury is allowed to see that stuff, it won’t help her.

Unless there are incriminating facts not publically known, she is likely to be found innocent of murder. Why would she plead guilty to that charge on the outside chance that the court might give her a lenient sentence commensurate with what she might get for Manslaughter (the change that she almost certainly be convicted of, if that was on the table)?

Oh … your wiki is open.

The audio of Amber Guyger’s 911 call has been leaked. I defy anyone to listen to this and think she staged it, she did it on purpose, etc as some have claimed. You can hear the raw emotion in her voice as time goes on as the panic and realization of what happened gets to her. It was so obviously a tragic accident. It doesn’t excuse her as she did screw up badly and thus will undoubtedly be convicted of manslaughter.

Audio at the link. There are some fbombs in the audio.

I wonder what raw emotion was in Bothem Jean’s voice as he lay dying in his own home. I wonder what he sounded like as the panic and realization that he was going to die got to him. What’s equally sad is, she was only concerned about losing her job, not that she had just killed someone.

1 Like

The first thing you hear her say is “stay with me man” or something like that. The next thing you hear her say is she needs EMS. Her first concerns were obviously for Botham Jean

Typical of you though to pick out something she said later as if thats the only thing she said.

White girl accidentally shoots a black man in his own home… first reaction:" oh, I hope she’s okay."

3 Likes