Conservatives, are DeSantis and Abbot correct?

How long have the vaccines required to attend school been around?
Pretty much all side-effects are known, both short term and long term.

How long has the covid vaccine been available?
What are the short and long term side-effects from it?
We don’t know about the long term effects, it hasn’t been out that long. This vaccine was rushed thru the process using the emergency use classification, and that is why some have concerns. Yes, I know from previous posters actually IN the medical field how the process was sped up, and how they did the required studies etc but we still don’t know about possible long term side-effects and that is the sticking point for many.

The more something is pushed, the more some will push back. I am NOT saying I agree with them, but can see their argument. When you demonize, attack, harass someone, they WILL dig in their heels. As I have said previously, messaging needs to change to address these individuals.

1 Like

I don’t normally get the flu shot. It is simply am educated guess on what strain will be “the” strain that year. Usually when I would get the flu shot, I eventually got the flu that year. I used to work in IT in a user support role, so I got it because of that. Still got it most years anyway. My last 2 years in IT I was no longer in that role, didn’t get the shot, didn’t get sick.

I would think the first sentence is correct. I am seeing the vaccines become as big of an issue as abortion. Because of the 2020 election, and even the 2016 election, there is a lot of distrust with the government. A lot.

I’m not going to answer the second question because I think there are too many variables, and ethically, it must be decided on a case-by-case basis within context. One has to consider the history of previous decisions (including in other countries), and understand how the issue arose and why. TL;DR: there is so much gray in here to give a definite answer.

Well said, Guvnah. :+1:

I would think you would do the stat tests on the sample, but I don’t think a comparison to the parameter is possible.

I might be wrong. Statistics ate my lunch.

This. This is what I don’t understand. I don’t know what changed. I wouldn’t say Trump was God-like but a lot of Conservatives were happy with attempts at trying to combat the virus. I was so happy to see labs jumping on the issue and getting a vaccine quickly- under the Trump administration. Now it seems as though many Conservatives don’t want to get the vaccine.

Why the sudden change in stance??

Dying of covid to pawn the libs.

I don’t get it either.

The same people screaming to open the economy, drop all the restrictions, get back to normal, are ignoring the best tool to make all that happen.

1 Like

Hate. That’s what it is. It infected the left and now it’s infecting the right. This country is a circular firing squad.

I’ve recently become calloused to the political state of the U.S. I am watching to see how everything unfolds, but not closely.

That is probably one of the reasons, although I don’t think that started there.

I honestly don’t understand this. Hundreds of millions of vaccine doses have been administered with only a handful of severe reactions occurring.

And the idea that suddenly long term effects will occur way down the road simply defies logic. The mass populous takes drugs with very clear and present side effects, and many with long term health effects (neuroleptics, opioids, analgesics, statins, etc). Somehow there has never been a mass uprising against Pharma because of these issues- but only with this one vaccine.

This I agree on. You mandate something then you will receive push back. Understood. And I can see how it could be counter productive- especially for those looking at this as a Lib/Con thing. But we are also in a place where we have lost well over 700 K lives- more than any other war before us.

Vaccination not only protects an individual but protects all those around them- kids and immunocompromised people who cant get vaccinated. The idea of personal choice and medical freedom works great if it truly only affects the individual. But its not a personal choice in isolation.

1 Like

And once government “reaches”, it never stops trying to reach even more.

Step by step:

2 Likes

Just like Que-Mala Harris said when she was running for president: If Trump recommends it, I’m not getting it.

People don’t seem to realize that accusations they make about “the other side” often come from their own side too.

5 Likes

Yes, coerced vaccinations are a huge deal for a substantial part of the population who has chosen not to get vaccinated. They are question of human rights for many others.

A similar situation exists for gay rights. Only a small percentage of the population is gay. Laws that restricted homosexual behavior were a really big deal for them, but opposing those laws is still a question of freedom for many others. The fact that sexual behavior can spread disease does not change that.

Should employers be able to ban types of sexual behavior?

Should the federal government health concerns as a basis to force employer these mandates?

That was my only point. I could have given 1000 other examples. I’m not interested in bickering over the nuances of each one.

Your accusation has nuances too.

Hope that helps.

Knowing full well Trump was not the decider.

2 Likes

Reducing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases is a public good. The same logic applies.

People who choose to engage in risky sexual behavior are the ones who are most directly effected. The fact that innocent spouses or children of transfusion recipients may end up with diseases as are result does not mean that the government should be policing bedrooms and bars.

The same situation exists with the highly leaky COVID vaccines. The main risk of getting the disease refusing to get vaccinated is for the unvaccinated.

The main thing that the vaccines do is to delay infection; virtually every one is going to develop natural immunity eventually. Going inside a leaky tent in a rainstorm means you will still get wet, but it will take a bit longer.

There are also unintended consequences from coercion:

How many more shootings will there be in Chicago if police are not available because of the mandates?

1 Like

What is so hard to understand about long term side-effects?
The vaccine has only been out for almost 2 years, we don’t know if there are any long term effects. There may not be, but who knows past 2 years. That is all I am saying here, in my case, with my age and history of pneumonia, I decided to get it because I knew if I got a severe case I would be screwed. IF I didn’t have those issues, not sure if I would get it or not. Would be a different “decision tree” for me. I PROBABLY would have gotten it anyways but I cannot say for sure.

Thing is you are applying YOUR logic to this, not everyone analyzes things as you or I do, and this needs to be understood.

I guess what I don’t understand is- has there ever been a health effect that has occurred years down the read from any vaccine?

And why is there never outcry over a brand new drug that does have side effects- sometimes very severe? But suddenly with this one vaccine, there is enormously outsized fear of adverse effects years down the pike?

How many of them have been mandated by centgov?

The freak out happened before the mandate.