Congressional Approval Numbers

While everyone is reciting the latest Senate races and the latest Congressional House races, the one over-arcing theme that seems to be ignored or forgotten is Congressional Support from Americans. The voters.

I know, its a poll. But, its something to work with. Congress’s approval rating (latest according to Real Clear Politics) is at 18%. 18%. Let that sink in for a second. Even in a college class with a curve, 18% is failing. Terribly.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/congressional_job_approval-903.html

Its been abysmal for years. So, what can be done to correct this? Can it be corrected?

I say nope, that partisan bickering is going to continue for quite a long time. And Americans (in general), even though they pull the “D” or “R” lever to make themselves feel better for the party they support as a whole, just keep bringing in the same crap, over and over again.

if Dems didnt have any seats then it wouldn’t be so bad, in all seriousness the problem is summed up as this “stupid spineless politicians all are useless and waste of space, my guy though is fighting hard and got us a that new swimming pool so ill keep voting for him because the new guy trying to unseat him, i just dont’ know him well enough”

Congress approval has been on a straight nose dive since 2001

In 1992, it was at 18%, but seemed to have rebounded and climbed to a peak of 56% in 2001. Clearly 2001 was 9-11, the last time Congress did anything a whole.

In 2009 it spiked to 30% (which is terrible still), but soon dropped back down again.

I’ve always found the congressional approval number to be the most useless of all poll numbers. It’s meaningless especially when you match it against reelection rates. It’s just people bitching about someone else’s congressman.

Yup. From 2016:

“This election cycle, 393 of 435 House representatives, 29 of 34 senators, and five of 12 governors sought reelection (several of the governors were prohibited from seeking another term). Of those, 380 of 393 House members (97%), 27 of 29 senators (93%), and four of five governors (80%) won another term. These members of Congress and governors not only won renomination, but also won in November.”

I don’t think its the partisan bickering that keeps Congressional numbers so low. Maybe its not enough partisan bickering and too much legislating. Government has increasingly encroached upon every aspect of Citizen life. Too many, way too much. To many others, not near enough.

I agree.

The poll numbers are terrible yet they traditionally have very high reelection rates.

Its a media political game. It use to work, but people got wise to the game. Here is what happens in this game and why it fails now. The media puts out these poll numbers with a list of reasons for them. People get mad, and vote out the culprits… well… one side does anyway. Republican voters historically will turn on their reps if their reps are turning a deaf ear to them and screwing up. Democrat voters, on the other hand, don’t give a ■■■■ and keep returning the same scum to power every single time. Result, things just get worse and the Republicans are the only ones to ever pay a price.

We have gotten a little wiser now.

In 2006…not sure if you were here then but I came to this forum advocating staying home for that election cycle.

Needless to say I was being accuse of being a plant from DU. :wink:

The poll asks the wrong question. If they asked for an approval rating of your rep, the number would mirror reelection rates.

And a lot of people disapprove because “congress” isn’t … enough. Lib, conservative whatever. They aren’t supposed to compromise on what’s important to me .

Most worthless polls out there are the Congressional approval polls.

Ah, but remember the times when Dems had majority and there used to be threads on how terrible Congress was? And often cited these polls as “proof”?

1 Like

Yes. I remember.

Down Under?
Dimwits United?
University of Denver?
University of Delhi?
Ducks Unlimited?

Hear, hear!