COMRADE BERNIE: Sanders Digs-In, Defends Castro, Praises Communist China for Easing ‘Poverty’

Originally published at: COMRADE BERNIE: Sanders Digs-In, Defends Castro, Praises Communist China for Easing ‘Poverty’ | Sean Hannity

Far-left Senator Bernie Sanders doubled-down on his defense of communist dictators during a CNN Town Hall event Monday night; publicly praising Cuba’s Fidel Castro and China’s authoritarian regime.

“Democratic members of Congress who represent Cuban-Americans in Florida -obviously you’ve got to win there- are attacking your comments as absolutely unacceptable… Response?” asked CNN’s Chris Cuomo.

“When Fidel Castro first came to power, which was, what, ’59? You know what he did?” Sanders began. “He initiated a major literacy program. There were a lot of folks in Cuba at that point who were illiterate, and he formed a literacy brigade … that went out and they helped people learn to read and write.”

“You know what? I think teaching people to read and write is a good thing.” He added, “I have been extremely consistent and critical of all authoritarian regimes all over the world, including Cuba, including Nicaragua, including Saudi Arabia, including China, including Russia. I happen to believe in democracy, not authoritarianism.”

Bernie Sanders is tripling down on his defense of his comment defending Castro’s Cuba:

“I think teaching people to read and write is a good thing.”pic.twitter.com/lCopqzKWCp

— Benny (@bennyjohnson) February 25, 2020

“But, ya know, you can take China as another example. China is an authoritarian country, becoming more and more authoritarian, but can anyone deny — I mean, the facts are clear — that they have taken more people out of extreme poverty than any country in history,” Sanders told the crowd.

Watch Sanders’ comments above.