Company who raised minimum wage to 70k a year six years ago

15 dollars an hour isn’t getting you much these days. I can only speak for the state of NJ, but 15 an hour and you’re still going to have a lot of turnover.

I don’t think they need them at all and are in the process of phasing them out and replacing them with robots.

What if I have 12 kids, how much do I deserve to get paid?

Basically what I do is take the yearly salary without the excess 0’s and divide it by 2. So if we all compensated at the pay of our representatives, $174,000, minimum wage would be about $87.00/hour.

Well, that did not really answer the question.

Good thing you support UBI, as eventually, what you describe will happen.

Yes - I’m aware of how math works.

What does that have to do with the price of beans in Uzbekistan?

A couple of observations here.

First, one has to wonder how much revenue would have gone up without the wage increase.
Second, each company gets to make their own decisions. I have no problem with a company deciding to raise the wages for all of their employees. My problem is with big government forcing those one-size-fits-all decisions onto each company, whether or not they can afford it.

If by eventually you mean within ten years.

We shall see. 10-25 years…IMO.

Now, when we can build robots that can fix and design robots…then the Matrix takes over.

2 Likes

No, they would have to gain free will first. And that may never happen. Be more worried about what humans tell them to do, a much more immediate and certain problem.

2 Likes

We already have robots building robots. Just saying.

Like the disgruntled ex employee who knows a bit of programming?

You don’t even have to use an extreme example. Just a single mother with two kids is over 30 dollars an hour in NJ. Those are Alice in Wonderland numbers. Most jobs aren’t paying you that.

No, I mean like governments.

I used the singular “worker” with intent. At it’s minimum a living wage means the wage for an individual to live on. If you choose to have children beyond your means, as many do, the difference will fall to the taxpayer, as it has since at least the inception of the public school system.

And as it is now, you the taxpayer covers the difference that her employer chooses not to.

How can it be that we have seemingly found ourselves arguing that we’re too expensive to live?

We have 100k a year job that nobody wants. Yet another body refused the job, that makes 5 over the past year

Of course it’s hard work and it’s in NYC.

And you have to work with people similar to me. Lol.

Allan

When you include snow overtime, I made between 80k to slightly over 90k a year. I have a little over 6 weeks vacation, 15 sick days, and 8 personal days a year. I’d refuse your 100k a year job in NYC too.

See that’s why it a tough job to fill.

Allan

I spend around $2k a year on tolls in Texas.

When they were building the toll road they promised “jobs” and built toll worker booths, but the never hired any and the whole system runs on cameras

How…does your thing still exist there?

No. I pay a small portion of it. Sort of like the example you guys use on how much per person someone would spend more on a hamburger.

That said, I’m not totally dismissing it. I believe if you’re not paying a living wage per single person, and that person needs to be compensated by the taxpayer, I’m not exactly thrilled either. But what is the solution? You can only pay the person working for you a living wage. You can’t account for their dependents. And a living wage is still crap.