Commanding Officer of the USS Theodore Roosevelt relieved of command for failure to understand the basic concept of chain of command

Maybe he did and no one cared?

Then you close your mouth and drive on with what you’ve got.

1 Like

The CO of a carrier runs an issue pertaining to operational readiness up the chain of command and gets a shoulder shrug as a reply?

No.

1 Like

Again, I really am trying to get clarification if a carrier captain leaving gets that kind of chants from the crew, or if this is a very special circumstance and indicates something. Looking for responses from navy people who have seen CO’s leave.

On any of the 5 carriers I have served aboard, it is not usual for the ship’s crew to physically cheer when the Captain transfers from the ship.

There is a formal Change of Command ceremony, where the departing Captain turns the reins over to the new Captain. But this is for normal turnover, not a Captain being relieved.

I have worked for Captains and CO’s that I would follow into the gates of hell, and
I have worked for Captains and CO’s that I wouldn’t piss on if they were on fire.

Obviously, the crew thought very highly of him to give him that kind of send off.

4 Likes

That first star is pretty much out of the question.

In full disclosure, I was not Navy…just part of the department of the Navy. That sad, I think you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone who has seen a commander of any ship (let alone a carrier) leave under such circumstances…I mean, outside of getting canned for running the boat aground or bouncing it of another ship.

Under normal circumstances there would be a change of command ceremony and all the hoopla that accompanies such. In fact, the only recent situation that I can think of that could remotely compare would be the leaving of Gen McChrystal after being fired for saying something Obama didn’t like hearing.

The Men’s Department?

There has to be exceptions to that.

They were cheering his departure, he left in absolute disgrace.

No, not unless his goal was to put the US in danger.

Unfortunately correct.

That’s what it looked like to me.

He wasn’t fired for raising those concerns.

He instilled a panic in the crew and their families and was about to take one of our most vital assets out of service when it is vitally needed we look strong.

Worse, he did so without even consulting his direct supervisor who was literally in the cabin next door.

Worse, he did so without informing anyone in his theater chain of command.

Finally, the most unforgivable sin of all, he leaked it to the press.

He should be busted down to E-1 and serve time before being given a dishonorable discharge.

1 Like

Actually they could using nothing but civilian transports backed up with their fleet and mainland based air assets.

His was an act of treason.

No, it wouldn’t.

He wasn’t even authorized to take the ship to Guam much less remove the combat crew.

You can’t see inside of a carrier from space.

No he didn’t, he didn’t inform anyone in his chain of command at all.

Yes, they gave a special send off to a coward and a traitor.

They were celebrating his getting the axe.

He’ll be lucky to get a rubber dingy and a life jacket when he’s done.

Sure. Resign.

1 Like