Colorado courting disney

A state giving a half-century of special tax considerations is not “free market”.

Just saying.

As for Florida’s actions, people who like it are going to like it. People who dislike it are going to dislike it. It’s not going to swing votes one way or another. It’s only going to entrench voters on one side or the other of the political abyss they currently occupy.

And this thread isn’t going to shift anyone on this board. It’ll just devolve into another bicker-fest like all the other threads, with all the same people on each side. :man_shrugging:

Tourists go to Colorado all the time despite weather.

I dispute your premise.

Amusement parks operate in cold weather climes.

Allan

Yes we do. I heard today Disney may be bringing a former CEO in to “clean up this mess”. If the Florida legislature passes the law to rescind Disney’s tax status it could cost them millions. Funny how suddenly “go woke and go broke” becomes reality.

I can see that going away if this goes through.

Except both counties will be free to assess Disney for the municipal services, like any other company, you just described.

Perhaps. But there are also families that will choose to spend their money elsewhere considering the position Disney has taken. Don’t get between a Mommy and her child.

Or a child and The Mouse (or their favorite Princess). My sister and her family live in Broward and they take their kids every year.

Better check, woke ass Disney may have dumped all “gender specific”nouns and pronouns.
We’ve gone for years, always stay in Kissimmee. Our children are all grown, this year we’re taking the grandchildren to Universal.

They have to take on the bond…they can’t bill Disney for that.

Yep didn’t take long.

“I don’t care about the mess it may cause Florida residents. Punish Woke-Ass Disney!”

GOP fast becoming the Grievance Only Party.

:rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Becoming?

2 Likes

Conservative cancel culture strikes again.

Disney sends a billion to FL in tax revenue every year just from ticket sales.

It DeSantis gets his bluff called, then every family that lives in the administrative district managed by Disney would have a nice instant property tax increase of $2200.

All of this and why Reactionary Party nimrods like Greg Abbott are throwing around the red meat is we’re in full midterm mode and its time to rile up the base with racial appeals and other tried and true methods to get the average Republican voter to vote against their own self interest.

If people think this is a real thing and it’s not just election kabuki, that’s because they’re the target demo of this marketing campaign.

3 Likes

And takes themselves out with friendly fire.

Today’s GOP can’t even do cancel culture right.

They are getting pretty good at banning books though.

Can someone remind me what position Disney has taken again?

They are going to thump their chest and spend a ton of money in the court to have it all go away. All great use of taxpayer funds

I want his bluff to be called. I hope the Legislature completes the vote to dismantle the special status.

Stupid needs to start hurting those who are stupid.

It’s more complicated than that.

When Disney wanted to develop their swamp land, the surrounding counties lacked the infrastructure to support a theme park and they couldn’t imagine how they could raise the money. they couldn’t get enough power, feeder roads, emergency services, fire departments, etc…to make it happen.

Disney proposed that THEY pay for all that, and administered it too…

Which strikes me as pretty darn free market…‘I want to build something here…you are telling me the municipality can’t afford to support it…no problem, I’ll support it myself.’

Now, of course the surrounding communities, enriched by the successful development could afford it, but why should Disney have to give up the deal they struck? They took all the risk. They laid out the capital. They designed the system that would support their vision…

(I’m saying all this ignoring the obvious fact that DeSantis is not doing this out of some sense of ideological propriety - he’s doing this to pwn lib woeness or whatever…)

2 Likes

I’m not sure - they currently fund their own fire department, energy grid, road system, etc…

what would likely happen is Disney would save money, but the quality of the experience plummets as the local municipalities become fiscally responsible and cheap out to save tax payer’s money.