Colorado commission has Masterpiece Bakery in its crosshairs again

Protected class is not a special class in any way beyond being protected from being discriminated against based on your inclusion in that class. If its kosher for someone who does custom work to deny you the service because he has a moral objection to your stated purpose of the work, it is kosher to deny anyone in a protected class for the same reason.

As it has been stated over and over, protected classes aren’t asking for special on demand artwork. They want access to the same services that are offered to everybody else.

If the tattoo artist will make a kermit the frog tattoo for a white person, but refuses a kermit the frog tattoo for the black person. That’s discrimination.

If the baker will make a blue and pink cake for a straight person, but refuses to make it for a transgender person. That’s discrimination.

The content of the artwork is not a question. The baker only objects making the cake because the person is celebrating being who they are, which is a protected class.

A baker who has a moral objection to people eating his cakes. So weird.

And again, he stated the purpose of the work he wanted, that makes it different. If I give a black man a kermit frog tattoo I am not obligated to create a kermit tattoo for a white man who claims it is a symbol of white supremacy. You know and I know such an order would be refused based solely on the expressed meaning of the tattoo.

Go into a black barbershop and ask for a buzz cut, be sure and mention its a KKK cut and see if you get a haircut or an ass kicking.

Not a protected class.

“Sir, this kermit is code for my religion.”
“Nope. I don’t do tattoos for that reason.”

Discrimination.

You keep going back to reasons that are legal to discriminate against.

No matter how many times you try it, it won’t be true, protected class protects you from being discriminated against because of your inclusion in the class, it does not grant you the privilege to be treated differently. If I can legally refuse to create a white supremacy tattoo because its expressed meaning is offensive to my moral sensibility I can do the same thing to a member of a protected class. You are claiming a vegan restaurant has to sell hir a transgender celebration steak because zhe is in a protected class.

I don’t see anything in the Colorado law outlawing discrimination against transgender celebration cakes.

“I don’t do trangender celebrtation cakes for transgenders”

Discrimination

“I don’t do transgender celebration cakes for anyone”

Not discrimination.

They want to be treated the same way. They want a custom order cake that has a design that is acceptable to the baker. That’s all they want. The baker wants to treat them differently.

No, you can’t. You cannot legally refuse service because the person’s membership in a protected class offends your sensibility.

This has been your argument. Not mine. I understand that the vegan restaurant doesn’t have the capability to serve steak. They don’t carry particular ingredients in order to serve steak. Nobody should force them to.

You’re the one arguing that a baker literally cannot make a gender-transition cake for the same reason a vegan restaurant can’t serve steak. There’s almost like you believe gender-transition cakes require a special ingredient that the baker doesn’t carry.

What is a gender celebration cake? Does it have special ingredients? Wouldn’t a birthday cake with a different label be the exact same thing?

No, they specifically wanted a cake they knew beforehand was offensive to the baker.

Correct but that isn’t what happened, the denial was based on the express purpose and meaning of the cake, not the clients membership in a protected class. He wouldn’t bake a cake for such expressed purpose for anyone.

Yes they do, just not right away, I’ll gladly come back for it next week or a month from now.

No, I am arguing that their refusal to make them are similar in that they are both based on a personal moral objection to the product.

What is a KKK haircut? Answer, a request that is offensive to the artists moral sensibilities.

You can’t discriminate a person’s membership to a protected class, but you can discriminate against a person who wants to celebrate being a member of a protected class?

Is that your argument?

Being a member of the KKK is not a protected class. Being a member of Christianity is.

Why don’t you use Christianity in your examples. They would make more sense.

My argument is it is not discrimination against the person but rather the expressed purpose and meaning of an object. Who the person is doesn’t matter because he would not make it for anyone no matter who they are.

The expressed purpose of celebrating being a member of a protected class.

And pass up the opportunity to educate you that being a member of a protected class doesn’t grant you special privilege. Nah. Being in a protected class protects you from being treated differently, it doesn’t give you special rights nobody else has.

What’s funny is that this baker was using his OWN protected class status in order to discriminate against another protected class. Irony.

1 Like