Colorado commission has Masterpiece Bakery in its crosshairs again

What the baker should do is bake the customer a birthday cake, but without any writing on it, and then tell the customer it’s what they ordered.

Everybody wins.

As he should. And all should support freedom of religion and speech as long as they are not intending or inciting harm to others for disagreeing with their views. . Lest they want to be a victim of their own folies.

Is that not happening someplace?

I don’t know what a transgender celebration cake is, ask the plaintiff, zhe was the one who asked for one.

How it differs from the bakers perspective is the use the customer expressed zhe would put his product to.

No, he would I assume still have a moral objection to the use of the cake as expressed by the customer. But I think he would be on less firm footing with our courts if he refused to sell a pre-made cake for a legal purpose he had moral objection to.

It has nothing to do with the color of the cake. The lawyer is trying to FORCE him to be complicit in something he is religiously opposed to.

Is he religiously opposed to baking cakes? That’s the only thing he would have been complicit in. I thought baking cakes was the guy’s business.

No, nobody should be forced to create something they have any objection to. Just as I shouldn’t be able to force a liberal tattoo artist to give me a Trump tattoo. Is this really the world you want to live in?

You should just stop with your tortured analogies. They don’t help you.

Oh wow. You don’t even understand the debate. I wonder how much time people have wasted talking to you here when you can’t even grasp the issue being discussed…

What is tortured about it, he/she offers custom tattoo’s, I want one of Trump(shiver, not really) he has to do it. Apples to apples comparison.

Only if you have no idea what you’re talking about! But you do you.

There MUST have been a design that would have been acceptable to both the customer and the baker. Nobody is asking him to create anything that he doesn’t create for other customers.

If the meaning of the cake, to the customer, is so offensive to him. He can back them a birthday cake and tell them it’s what they really ordered. In this way, his conscience will be clean, and the customer will be satisfied.

If the tattoo artist doesn’t do trump tattoos for anyone, he doesn’t have to do trump tattoos. The baker bakes cakes for everyone. Allowing a customer to “define” the cake, regardless of what it looks like, is just stupid.

Here is a thought: Not everyone agrees with “you” or what “you” stand for. They never will.

Take Joe Schmo and make an example out of him. Put his head on a metaphorical stick and run around the square with it. Feel good for a day, a week, a month.

Short term gain for long term pain.

I’ll tell you what is tortured about it, you know full well artists that offer custom designs routinely retain creative control and the right to refuse to do a work they do not want to do. Just because a tattoo artist offers custom tattoo’s he is not obligated to create any design you want.

Don’t be so obtuse, Cali. You’re better than that.

Well that works if I allow you to say a custom cake is just a cake and identical to every other cake and that a custom tattoo is different depending on the design. But that is obviously false on it’s face.

Do you think that the baker has never baked a blue and pink cake? Bake the cake, put icing on it. Maybe even include some iced piping around the edges. That’s not “art.” I don’t see where the lawyer requested a customized, transgender design. Did you?

Now you’re talking about the design of the cake/tattoo. Nobody is arguing that they can force the baker/tattoo artist into making a design that they find offensive.

The tattoo artist would be in violation of the law if they don’t do tattoos for transgender people, or because the person is a Christian. If the customer had no shoes on though, that’s an acceptable reason to refuse service.

What was “custom” about the cake?