Colorado commission has Masterpiece Bakery in its crosshairs again

You don’t know me. Stop lying.

Can he still say not to the design? If the transgender lawyer has his/her/its way, he will not be able to say no to anything.

Actually he does, if he had prior knowledge of what the gun was to be used for he can be held liable for damages.

From FACT CHECK: Gun Manufacturers Can't Be Sued For Crimes Committed With Their Products?

The PLCAA actually spells out six exceptions to the law under which a gun manufacturer could be held liable from crimes committed with their products in a civil proceeding. A manufacturer could be held liable, for example, if they knowingly sell a weapon to someone planning on committing a “crime of violence” or a “drug trafficking crime.”

Surely there’s a design that would work for both the customer and the baker. Maybe just a plain white cake. I don’t know. There has to be something that they can both agree on.

Or is the baker just refusing all custom order cakes from the transgender person?

He objected to the design because of what it represented.

Here’s a thought question: A guy walks into a bakery and asks the baker to create a yellow cake with red frosting. Nothing else on it. The baker asks the customer what the cake is for. He said to celebrate the bombing of Japan and killing of Japanese people. If the Baker is offended by what it represents, does that mean, he has to create the yellow and red cake or can’t he just want a generic cake instead?

Lets just say that a baker liked the design of a cake, but later discovered it was a symbol for hatred. Does that mean he has to make the cake as is?

This is a question, we need answers to these tricky situations. Not punting by our courts.

I must have missed the “more substantive” premise.

Is this a protected class under the law? Transgenderism is in CO. If the law says you can’t discriminate against the United States actions during WWII, then I would agree with the example.

That’s a tough question. He did agree to the terms of the contract when he agreed to the design. I won’t argue either way on this one because it’s tricky.

Agreed. These tricky situations will be settled by the courts. It will be interesting to see what happens.

1 Like

Freedom of Religion. The only one supposedly butt hurt is the transgender lawyer (no pun intended). I sincerely doubt he/she/it cares anything about respecting anything but an easy path to notoriety.

Correct. That’s exactly right. I argue that you have to serve the customer. Alternative design? Yes. Make a plain vanilla cake and offer them the ability to put on their own frosting. Absolutely. That’s what happened when an anti-gay man wanted a baker to create two anti-gay cakes. She said she would bake the cakes for him, but the design was up to him.

2 Likes

Show some respect for goodness sake. The lawyer is a transgender woman. She goes by female pronouns.

I will agree that the baker can object to the design of the cake, but refusing to serve somebody because of their gender identity is wrong.

1 Like

And the CO law does not prohibit discriminating against the actions of transgenders, it doesn’t grant them special privileges. If I won’t serve a straight person with no shoes I am not required to serve a gay person with no shoes because they are part of a protected class. Catch him selling transgender celebration cakes to people not in a protected class and then he will have a problem.

The problem is that people believe he should not be required to offer ANYTHING once it’s determined that the cake “represents” something they don’t like.

You NEVER encountered a situation but then when you did (which belies never) you argued religious belief?

Sure. Why not? Freedom of religion…right?

Doesn’t matter. Equal protections applies to EVERYBODY.

They are wrong then. If you walk into a bakery, you should be able to get a cake. I don’t care who you’re.

Nobody wants special privileges. The transgender person wanted a cake for the same reason straight people want cake.

What is a “transgender celebration cake” and how does it differ from another cake from the baker’s perspective? Is it the design the baker objected to? Could the baker have given the customer a birthday cake and put a label on it saying “transgender cake”?

1 Like

Let me just say that arguing religious freedom doesn’t work if your religion involves smoking pot.

2 Likes

Can the customer order a blue and pink cake and tell the baker afterwards that it’s a transgender celebration cake? Will the baker refuse to sell it to him? We need to know these things.

That’s what I said, nobody has a right to force him to make a cake he doesn’t want to make. Once he makes one and puts it up for sale, he must sell it to anyone.