Colorado commission has Masterpiece Bakery in its crosshairs again

This baker shouldn’t be bigoted. He will continue to be targeted for his bigotry until he stops. Maybe he can move to another state where his beliefs that gay marriage is wrong is more tolerated. Not every state has LGBTQ legal protections yet.

Actually the Bible has plenty to say about homosexuality. The Bible also talks about God creating man and woman.

It’s bigotry to call someone a bigot simply because they have sincerely held religious beliefs and won’t compromise just because someone else demands they do.

This isn’t just a religious issue but free speech as @Calvin_Reagan has been pointing out.

2 Likes

But where does the line for art stand? A wedding cake is definitely art. Is a simple pink cake with blue frosting also art? What about the lame cake I can barely make that comes out of a box from the supermarket? Is a sandwich art? A whopper? Does it have to be custom order food products, or are food articles that are mass produced also art?

Does the it matter if the artist strictly works on commission, or if they have a business open to the public; the same way that Arby’s is open to the public?

Please provide the quote where God said Marriage = one man and one woman.

The Bible is against homosexuality sex. It’s not against gay people in general.

As I have said before, one of my friends is a pastor. She told me that the passages about homosexuality are about rape.

Some religious beliefs are bigoted. Just because the belief is sincerely held and rooted in the teachings of a religion, doesn’t mean that the belief can’t also be bigoted, or that it shouldn’t be called out for what it is.

A woman pastor? That’s what’s got you confused.

There are quite a few examples at this website, such as this one:

He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.

And yes, the Bible is against gay sex, but also sex between heterosexuals who are unmarried, and of course adultery.

1 Like

Lets be clear here:

All of the products sold in a store/restaurant/bakery are pre-approved by the owner. For example, I am gluten free. If a restaurant does not have gluten free bread, I cannot sue the restaurant for not providing gluten free bread.

What we’re talking here are custom-made items aka special items. All special items have be approved by the owner. If the owner is uncomfortable with the product being sold, he/she does not have an obligation to make it.

This is a concept which has been legally presented in the California bakery case and the Phillips vs. Colorado CRC.

2 Likes

Matthew 19:4-6
“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Probably the best example of marriage being between one man and one woman according to Scripture.

I can’t seem to find the word marriage anywhere.

Again, I see the word “marriage” no where.

Come back when you have actually answered my question.

Exactly. This is very well said.

And again for those who continue to ignore or deny it… any gay or transgender can walk into his store and buy anything off the shelf and they will not be denied service.

I just did. “Be united to his wife” is marriage. Pastors talk about people being “united in marriage” all the time.

Quite clear what the message is to me. And I have personally never known a pastor who will agree with SSM, simply because most Christians believe the Bible makes it quite clear it should be between people of the opposite sex.

I understand that is the argument being presented. As far as I know, the SCOTUS didn’t rule on that issue in Phillips vs. Colorado.

Just to be consistent, and I have a feeling you’re going to be, would you say the same thing if the bakery owner refused to make a cake celebrating an interracial marriage, and specifically said so in his reasoning for refusing a custom cake order?

Even better. What if the baker refused to make a wedding cake for a Muslim couple, because he believes all other religions are an abomination?

Thank you. And this applies to anybody. They don’t have to be trans or gay. It applies to everybody.

I agree it’s a bad situation. I hate to see anybody not getting their wishes. But we live in a big society. I am willing to find a compromise or middle ground.

Agreed. If he was refusing to sell items off the shelf to certain people, or intentionally giving them an inferior product, then I’d agree with those who are calling him a bigot.

It’s really bad when some people want to use the power of the state to force someone to do something they are not voluntarily willing to do. And it’s not as though there aren’t a lot of bakers in his area who are quite willing to accommodate gay or transgender cakes.

They are deliberately targeting him for financial ruin, simply because he believes differently than they do. This is one person trying to force their views on someone else, and definitely would be forced speech by the state.

1 Like

The Supreme Court only looked at whether or not, Phillips got a fair trial. They did not look at whether or not, Phillips refusal to make the custom-made cake violated the Colorado PA law.

Yes. If an interracial couple wanted a specialized cake to celebrate their
wedding anniversary and Phillips said it was against his religious beliefs, I would favor Phillips.

If David Duke went into Phillips’ bakery and wanted to get cupcakes from the display case and Phillips said, “sorry we don’t serve KKK members”, I would be on the side of Duke.

And can someone refuse custom orders to all members of a certain religion? If the baker would make custom orders for Christian birthdays, but not Jewish birthdays?

Deuteronomy 22:5

[New International Version]
A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

1 Like