CNN: Zero-down mortgages are making a comeback

Is it just me that blames him entirely? I have zero sympathy for him. I’m not the brightest bulb in the box, I have a high school grad. Got a 30 year fixed mortgage in 2000. Refinanced to a 15 year in 2003. Paid it off by 2014. Good Lord, doesn’t anyone account for the future? Paying off a loan for 36 years is mental. You can’t put yourself in that position.

2 Likes

Nope, it isn’t just you :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve always had an allergic reaction to monthly payments. I break out in hives just thinking about them. Those payments infringe upon your expendable cash. Keep them at an absolute minimum at all costs, and you will live a better life.

Some you can’t avoid, but have control over the overall cost. Some are totally discretionary. That’s where you need to be careful.

1 Like

:rofl:

You and me both! It’s pretty unavoidable when you enter adulthood and are trying to build a credit score.

If you are wise, you’ll spend less than you make, budget for savings and one day be debt free. Then who gives a rat’s behind about credit scores!

I’ve been debt free since 2015. No car payments, no mortgage, no anything. But even when I had those, they’ve been really low. Our mortgage payments were always under 10% of our monthly income. That’s the result of my serious allergy.

2 Likes

Well, then you might wish to know that the federal debt is financed the same way.

Bonds, T-bills etc. pay interest only until maturity, and then the entire principle is refinanced/paid-back.

(Doesn’t matter if one blames the D’s or the R’s for the federal debt, this is the most kick-the-can-down-the-road method possible and we probably should not be doing it.)

1 Like