CNN anchor hits Trump: He didn't go to Vietnam 'until he was in his 70s' with 'Secret Service protection'

Well a lot of our opinions wont kill the expertise of others. The opinions we share on here probably reach that far and wide but then again we wouldnt be posting on here if we didnt want to vent such opinions or get something out of it eh? Valid to whom? Welcome to a political message board. Thats what it is for lol.

My memory of the period was that there was public condemnation of draft dodgers but anyone who was dodging the draft would find plenty fo pockets of support.

It sounds so not #MeToo but I remember Joan Baez popularizing the slogan, “Girls say yes to boys who say no.” For most young men getting out of the draft was as easy obtaining a phony doctor’s note. New York had a network of doctors who were willing to provide so Donald Trump’s dodge was pretty standard. Problems arose for those who would not lie or did not plan well… and that was the group that largely went to Canada.

The National Guard was the easy out for children with Republican connections – there you go George W. Bush – but no young man from liberal New York had access to a guard slot, those were a pure influence play.

And, of course, the bigger issue, was these “easy outs” were not widely available in rural America and largely closed off to black and Hispanic youth.

The whole system was as corrupt as Ivy League admissions. That’s why, while I frequently criticize Trump here, I give him a pass on this one.

His criticisms of John McCain, well that’s another matter. Entirely wrong, but then McCain got even because I believe that was uppermost in his mind when he killed the effort to overturn Obamacare.

Said every expertise killer ever.

Welcome to a political message board sneaks.

Wow. So disappointing. McCain did what he thought was right in my opinion and I’ll give the benefit of the doubt to someone who can no longer defend himself.

You’re not wrong. Trump messed up when he did that. That is what the article is about? That happened during the campaign, was roundly castigated by all the media and had long threads here at the time and sometime after.
If that is what this is about, then all I can say is old news.
That doesn’t grant immunity to McCain for low life actions later in life. At this point, it is a diversionary tactic only. Trump has been plenty castigated for that in the past.

Obama has spygate, fisagate and Benghazigate hanging over his head and you bring up this, why?

Is Trump so impotent that he can’t get arrests here?

Any day now… :rofl:

Q followers are the most optimistic bunch you’ll ever encounter.

I don’t recall Bill Clinton brag about how much of a bad ass he is and mock vets.

The issue is Trump directly made fun of him for being tortured.

Very interesting to see how Trump supporters have evolved on their original disdain for those who were able to circumvent the draft and military service in general.

Since joining the forum back in 2004 the general opinion of conservatives was draft dodgers were cowards and unpatriotic. Much was said about Clinton and criticism levied on Obama that he had no military experience and therefore was unqualified to be CINC. The resounding opinion of cons was that military service should be a pre-requisite for the President.

Enter the Trump years and now suddenly these same posters are telling us how those who avoided Vietnam were right to do so and that suddenly military service is no big deal. Oh and they all supprted a man that publicly denigrated a mans service to his country and any soldier who was captured.

Now whenever I see Trump supporters praising veterans or lecturing us on remembering the sacrifaces made by others I know they are full of crap because their actual actions do the opposite.

8 Likes

Thank you

The grin and thumb said it all…

Youre back to two and a half years ago. If that is what this is about it is dwelling on one stupid and crude comment during the campaign. Yeah, I jumped on Trump over that one too. I’m not going to be obsessed with it my whole life.

Its like he sat in a church 20 years ago or something…i love watching this…its so much fun

Happens every day. I’ll be sure to help you by pointing it out.

Not saying this applies to Doug but Funny how so many Trump supporters tell us now that they were so appalled with Trumps comments yet at the time I recall Trump supporters were being Trump supporters and explained it away, made excuses for Trump but very few of them called Trump out on it.

Is there anything more satisfying than watching republicans and military members support a guy who trashed a POW?

We all see what’s important to them now.