CNN anchor hits Trump: He didn't go to Vietnam 'until he was in his 70s' with 'Secret Service protection'

Attacking his Naval Academy record has nothing to do with his “sneaky back stabbing” or whatever the walking disgrace in the White House is whining about.

Yep. The “last in class” bit was poor taste. Of course it has nothing to do with the Vietnam rant of CNN.

A more relevant come back would have been Trump’s efforts to keep his own academic records secret.

Actually it had quite a bit to do with Viet Nam.

NOthing until CNN started their smears.

Ooops. I mean “continued”, not “started”.

You got us there. She didn’t dodge the draft over a minor medical issue.

2 Likes

Is it now a smear to point out that Trump is criticizing the service record of a man when he himself decided to avoid serving in the same conflict?

That doesn’t sound like a smear to me. It sounds like pointing out that Trump is a jerk and a hypocrite.

Agreed. for the record, as I noted earlier, Trump went way-low on that.

Okay.

Did you?

Grades and class position is not a war.

Trump was wrong to bring it up but it was not an attack on his Vietnam record.

Donnie finally did…with Secret Service protecting him.

His performance at the academy is part of his service record.

Can we sort out this whole hypocrisy thing? If you criticize Trump for dodging the Vietnam draft when you’ve never served and who knows if you’d try to dodge if you could, you’re a hypocrite or a possible one.

If you criticize Trump for dodging the draft while saying “I like people who don’t get captured”, you’re not a hypocrite, you are not attacking him for JUST dodging the draft, something you might do, but for dodging the draft AND insulting the service of someone who didn’t, and all people who get captured while serving or face the risk of being captured.

2 Likes

So when are you going to lock yourself into an internment camp?

Whataboutism is a tu quoque falacy and a deflection. There are more effective ways to call out hypocricy without using whataboutism. What is 'whataboutism'? | Merriam-Webster

You actually called out hypocricy the best way when you created that petition about Trump’s constant golfing.

Its even more galling that Trump is an outright chickenhawk.

Unless you volunteered during Vietnam, you are not qualified to discuss the subject.

To be fair, I vaguely recall that Trump cast aspersion on McCain’s POW stint. I might be wrong on that though.

But not part of Vietnam. His grades were a different thing. You cannot pretend his class standing, as irrelevant as it should be at this point, had anything to do with Vietnam.

The sole reason he was in Viet Nam was because of his military service, so no.