CNN anchor hits Trump: He didn't go to Vietnam 'until he was in his 70s' with 'Secret Service protection'

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/434473-cnn-anchor-hits-trump-after-mccain-attacks-he-didnt-go-to-vietnam-until-he-was

Now that’s telling it like it is. Our draft dodging president, who has criticized POWs (actual soldiers captured in war), continues to attack people to this day and I’m glad tons of people in the country see him for what he is. He was simply afraid to fight for his country (while attacking those who did).

I hope Vietnam vets all vote against him during the next election.

I wish the President would not go down this road but at the time of the draft, during the later 60s, especially after the Tet Offensive of 1968, the mood began to change in our country regarding Viet Nam. It all came to a head in 1971 when four protestors were shot at Kent State in Ohio. Many good people left the US and went to Canada. President Carter gave them amnesty and allowed them to return. IMO…it’s your duty to go but I harbor no ill feelings to those who chose not to. It was a tumultuous time in our country and looking back with 20/20vision, those who were against this war, were right.

1 Like

When was Ana Cabrera in Vietnam?

1 Like

How soon we forget Bill Clinton.

2 Likes

Whataboutism

1 Like

Absolutely. Only known antidote to hypocrisy.

1 Like

It’s interesting to compare the privileged elites during this time and how they reacted.

One of them got deferments, student and medical, and avoided service.

Another, who also had a leg injury waited a year for his leg to heal up so he could enlist and go serve, which he did bravely, saving lives and leading his troops courageously.

One of those men is vilified as a traitor to this nation. The other is our sitting president.

5 Likes

When you have nothing to work with what else can you do?

No. Whataboutism IS the hypocrisy.

Oh, did a thing? Well, here’s one of doing the thing, too! Neener neener!

It’s a hypocritical justification of doing the thing since also did the thing. The problem is doing the thing isn’t OK. Whataboutism tries to justify it by saying <well, your guy did it, too> when it doesn’t look good that EITHER guy did it.

Yes, it’s a vaccine as well.

Oh ya but what about michelle obama

Bill Clinton?

I absolutely love this Trump era. It teaches us all what is really important to people versus what they have said is important to them for decades.

3 Likes

I do expect the soldiers here, like Lee would in the past, come into this thread and trash Trump about his comments about POWs.

Ya well McCain is a lib and Mueller witch hunt dossier so THERE! Take that lib

1 Like

I guess in a way modern republicans are brothers in arms. They just no longer care about a draft dodging politician trashing a POW.

No, it’s the hypocrisy itself. And it justify “my guy” doing the thing “other guy” did by saying “well he did it first” even though "other guy’ was highly criticized for it before, sometimes “my guy” being the one who criticized.

For example, Trump himself was critical of Obama golfing a lot. So a Trump supporter jumping to “well Obama golfed a lot” does not benefit Trump, since both Trump supporters and Trump himself criticized Obama for golfing, and Trump ran on the idea that he wouldn’t have time for it because he’d be too busy working.

That’s hypocrisy. Whataboutism is the hypocrisy.

1 Like

I totally get not wanting to go off to Vietnam and possibly die in an unnecessary war. I don’t even really blame rich parents for trying to game the system to benefit their kids. That doesn’t excuse Trump’s repeated attacks on the heroism of the men who did go over there to serve and sacrifice though. He doesn’t know when to shut up or apologize and his supporters don’t seem to want him to, no matter how egregious his behavior.

6 Likes

what does Bill Clinton have to do with criticism of the dead John McCain?

did he criticize John McCain too. I somehow missed that news.

Please provide a link with that fact.

Otherwise Apples and Oranges.

Allan

1 Like

Think about this…

There are probably drafted Vietnam vets in our country, who lost fellow soldiers and friends to the Vietnamese or their prison camps, who support Donald Trump even after he trashed a POW. That just means that the other stuff that trump says is more important to them than what happened to their fellow soldiers.