CNBC: "PepsiCo earnings beat estimates but . . . weaker lower-income consumer hurt U.S. sales"

I never said that there is anything wrong with it.

I just take issue with the complaints that they have that lower incomes cannot afford the price hike that they imposed.

2 Likes

Yeah ya see Pepsi

• has a PE Ratio (TTM) 26.54 of (so they are making a paltry 3.75% for the cops and auto workers and university endowments who invested in them)
  • has Total Debt/Equity (mrq) of 239.02% (unless itis a star-up or a fast-growing company that should never be more than 100-150%)

Yes the $8b paltry profits they made they paid out to investors.
($8b on a $240b company is small, almost scary-small,)
but I don’t see anything wrong with that, except maybe they shoulda used t to pay down their debt.

Id say it’s both.

Pepsi is certainly at fault for doing stupid stock paybacks and then bitching about revenue.

And bidenomics just suck as a whole.

So they made a paltry $8b profit.

If you asked the waitress moms, and insurance companies who invested in Pepsco
“What should we do with this tiny profit?”

Those investors are likely to say

• “pay down your debts” or
  • “give it to us”

They are not likely to say “keep reducing profits and keep reducing them again and again until the lower-income can afford Pepsi like they could a few years ago.”
It would be irresponsible for a corporate CEO to make such a decision on behalf of the working single moms and soon-to-retire computer geeks who invested in the company.

Lmao, only one in my family not to and were a big family.

I love this scenario where the majority shareholders are waitresses and blue collar workers.

Look… PepsiCo has every right to raise their price. They have every right to pay out whatever dividends and do stock buybacks to their heart’s content.

But when they complain that the price increases that they imposed mean that lower income people are buying less of their product when they had $8 Billion returned to investors:… that is just crocodile tears.

They made a choice to return those profits to shareholders… which Is fine… over keeping their prices low.

Their complaints are meaningless in my opinion.

1 Like

Don’t parrot lib-stupid talking points.

Hint: Companies aren’t in business to be welfare outlets. They’re in business to make money – for the stockholders. If you want a piece of that, then buy their stock.

Here’s another hint: Basic microeconomic principles call for setting a product’s sale price to maximize profits. Yes, they can lower prices to increase sales in a certain demographic, but if those increased sales don’t offset overall reduced profits across the board, they’re simply not going to do it.

3RD hint: This thread isn’t about trying to get more Pepsi products to lower-income people. It’s an example of the impact this economy is having on lower-income households. PepsiCo is doing fine. Bidenomics isn’t hurting them. Low-income tiers can’t say that about themselves.

PepsiCo raised their prices while returning $8 Billion in profit to shareholders.

When they remark that the prices that they raised means that lower income people are buying less of their product… and they are somehow surprised by this… it just makes no sense.

They want it both ways.

They want to raise prices… and sell just as much and you can’t have that.

It’s not a complaint. It’s an observation. Their price point resulted in INCREASED earnings. They beat estimates. That’s a corporation’s goal. They succeeded.

Operative word is “RETURNED.

In case you don’t know, investors are another word for stockholders which is another word for owners.

Are not the owners of a company entitled to the profits from their company?

Them why are they concerned about lower income people buying less of their stuff?

They raised the prices…. Of course the people who make lower incomes aren’t going to buy as much.

When have I said that they arent.

But don’t exclaim that they had no choice but to raise prices.

Did you make that up?

Let me repeat for you: "It’s not a complaint. It’s an observation. Their price point resulted in INCREASED earnings. They beat estimates. That’s a corporation’s goal. They succeeded.

Hope that helps!

So then what is the point of this thread?

1 Like

wages are up however @Gaius will confirm.

Allan

1 Like

Let me repeat or you:

Hope that helps!

PepsiCo raised its prices… no one made them do that.

So? :man_shrugging:

Raising their prices increased earnings.

Here. Let me repeat for you:

I get it… but they raising their prices is somehow Biden’s fault.

That is the disconnect here.

No one made them raise their prices.