Cloture invoked on William Barr nomination, Senator Paul votes no

5:32 p.m. Cloture was invoked on the Barr nomination, 55-44.

Senators in favor: 52 Republicans, 3 Democrats (Jones, Manchin and Sinema).

Senators voting against: 41 Democrats, 2 Independents (King and Sanders), 1 Republican (Paul).

Senators not voting: 1 Democrat: Booker.

Three Democrats crossed over in support, with Senator Paul voting no. Final confirmation may happen late Wednesday or Thursday.

I’m happy Trump is getting an AG… but I agree with Rand Paul…

““He’s been the chief advocate for warrantless surveillance of U.S. citizens. I think that the Fourth Amendment should protect your phone calls and your bank information. People shouldn’t be allowed to look at it without a warrant.””

1 Like

Should have got rid of sessions years ago.

I hope Barr has the type of character to take charge and lead the way vs being led by the nose like Sessions by career government officials.

1 Like

Yes. Hopefully he takes charge and leads the way for ever greater violations of the 4th amendment.

He just got confirmed,

The confirmation vote was 54 to 45. I don’t have the vote breakdown yet, so don’t know which vote changed.

No, that was the Obama admin abusing FISA courts and unmasking Americans over and over and over… See Samantha Powers///

Barr doesn’t seem to be the type that will kowtow to Trumps whims, but neither did Lindsey Graham who is now Trumps pathetic Chihuahua so who can say?

“I have known Bob Mueller for 30 years,” Barr said Tuesday. “We worked closely together throughout my previous tenure at the Department of Justice under President Bush. We’ve been friends since. And I have the utmost respect for Bob and his distinguished record of public service. And when he was named special counsel, I said his selection was ‘good news’ and that, knowing him, I had confidence he would handle the matter properly. And I still have that confidence today.”

We will find out soon enough I
suppose

1 Like
  • Democrats voting Yes: Senators Jones, Manchin, & Sinema.
  • Republican voting No: Senator Paul.

There is the breakdown of party crossers on final confirmation.

If this is the case, then you also should have opposed Kavanaugh as well. He’s super anti-4th amendment.

Dude, that’s both parties. The Patriot Act is an abomination.