Civil War (Movie)

I watched the movie. There is no chance we saw the same movie.

The movie went out of its way to not pick sides. Using the journalists as protagonists was good in that way. It didn’t spoon you or force a view point down your throat.

1 Like

And you obviously did not read the article very carefully did you.

Good Maga, be offended as always :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Guess you missed the part where I twice said I don’t really care about the political bent.

But there’s no denying it’s there. Even thedailybeast and the director himself says so.

It’s disingenuous to claim otherwise.

Can you point it out to me in the article please, did you not read where he talked about America being fractured over various positions?

Disingenuous me? LOL.

The writer tried everything possible to not pick sides, politically. Solid film. Nothing I’d watch a second time but a solid film. Even my wife liked it and she don’t like nothing!

Saw Civil War Saturday, and I enjoyed it.

It’s not the political film you think it is. Instead, it’s a story about the photojournalists. The performances were especially wonderful.

It’s a film that certainly makes you think after seeing it.

Recommend everyone to see it.

I give it a grade of an B+.

ENJOY

4 Likes

I do like how they portrayed every side as objectively terrible. The Western Forces are presented as generally the best of the lot, but they’re still shown meting out revolutionary justice and gunning down civilians just like the Government forces are. That was a smart call and usually how modern civil wars go. There no good guys or bad guys. Just levels of awful.

1 Like

I think part of the reason of the success of the story is that the movie was produced by A24 which is an independent film production company that operates outside of the established Hollywood studios. Because of this Garland was able to bring his vision to the screen without the usual Hollywood interference.

B+ !!! Where is my unsubscribe button :grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

B+ is stellar. You don’t break into the A’s with subpar acting, and it sounds like the script alone carried it to a B.

1 Like

Looks like Lindsey Graham without the stash.

I thought the acting was of a high standard. Jesse Plemons pivotal scene was outstanding and IMHO raised the entire movie (but then again he is great actor). Garland is an accomplished director and always gets excellent performances from his actors.

Yes I am a bit of a Alex Garland fanboy and Civil War is one of the most thought provoking and intense movies I have seen in the last few years.

Uh oh, they done made the Drinker’s list. :rofl:

2 Likes

I saw an interview with Garland in which he said this was not about left vs. right, but rather extremist vs. moderates. But I am confused … if the President is portrayed as an authoritarian/fascist/dictator, who are the opposing forces? It sounds like extremists against extremists to me.

I would say that’s pretty accurate. Every faction in the movie as shown as objectively terrible. They’re killing civilians, meting out revolutionary justice, nobody is taking prisoners. Hell you have the buy gas with Canadian dollars because no one takes US dollars anymore.

I think he meant moderate politically. Not much is told about the politics of the Western Forces (the main group fighting the Government) but it is hinted that they want a return to the US Constitution or a new constitution that mimics it. President Ron is hated because he disregarded the amendment that limited him to two terms and then droned a bunch of protesters. So almost immediately the country broke apart, with roughly half of the states seceding into various alliances and half of the states staying loyal or declaring neutrality. A big multi party Russian style civil war breaks out between everyone opposed to the government and the Western Forces (Texas and California with volunteers from other states) end up making it out of it intact. They then turn their focus defeating on the government, which is what the movie follows. It’s technically the end of the war, everything else is hinted at but not shown. It’s like the last two months of the war that are shown as the Western Forces and the volunteers manage to take Washington DC.

1 Like

I would say the movie is more of a commentary on how civil wars make everyone lose their minds and start shooting every person they see and having revolutionary tribunals more so than any political statement. Basically they’re saying that if a civil war ever happens here everyone is going to be terrible. And I happen to agree with that because that’s how Civil Wars usually go. There is rarely an objectively good side or objectively bad side. It comes down to who can kill the most of whom.

1 Like

Who’s the new guy in your avi?

Liquid Ocelot. He was the main villain of Metal Gear Solid 4. He’s been my favorite villain since I first played that game way back in 2008.

“When it comes to CQC Snake, I have the upper hand.”

2 Likes