Civil Asset Forfeiture MUST END!

Only fines and penalties as defined by law and then only after conviction.

2 Likes

Hard to believe you guys, right wingers who talk about the police should be reformed side with the cops nine times out of ten when it’s time to actually push for reform.

Unless, of course, someone who shares their ideology is locked up. Then they turn into white Malcolm X lol.

3 Likes

No, I’ve been consistent about this for years.

Likewise I’ve said punitive damages are by definition and intent excessive fines and therefore unconstitutional (there should only be monetary damages), that qualified immunity should be done away with (the Court created it, literally legislated from the bench), that it represents a fundamental abuse of power to require someone apply a stamp on produce and then make it neigh impossible to buy the stamps, etc….

2 Likes

You’re my huckleberry until protesters have laser pointers, at which point you advocate police gunfire.

So? Some things just need oppressing.

As for libertarian, no. I’m for governance by constitutional means. Nothing more and nothing less.

And, btw, that homosexual acts were unlawful among the several States that ratified the Constitution demonstrates that they cannot be found among A4:S2:C1 P&I or covered by the 9th amendment as a right retained at the time.

1 Like

What’s the purpose of pointing lasers at the police?

2 Likes

This is why I’m saying any police reform sentiment exhibited by folks like you is almost certainly not real. I don’t believe you believe it and if you really are serious about some small issue like asset forfeiture it’s only because you feel you have a personal stake in the issue.

There is nothing you supposed anti-authoritarians love more than the armed power of the state and sucking up to it whenever push comes to shove. You literally just said you want oppression.

2 Likes

This doesn’t look like a police reform issue. It looks like a policy reform issue. The seizures appear to violate the 4th amendment concerning when an item may be seized and the 5th amendment protections of due process and presumption of innocence until proven guilty. The cops are just the agents of enforcement of these policies, not the authority for it.

3 Likes

Small issue?

This has been a thing since forever. I agree with you 100%. Never ever carry large amounts of cash with you in your car. These bums will rob you.

1 Like

Well, some things are just too egregious to ignore.

1 Like

You’d think so, but in Timbs, the Supremes declined to rule against it. They ruled his seizure was disproportionate, but did not strike down the practice…9-0.

Yup. Elsewhere, there is a thread on the flash robs, wherein the vibe very much is “lock 'em up and throw away the key”.

Brought to you by the same folks that are outraged at the treatment of the insurrectionists, who are just making their normal way through the system.

2 Likes

Does this have to devolve into other issues? On it’s face don’t most agree this is not a good thing?

Nah.

Keep it for cartels.

The sticking point appears to be sufficient vs insufficient probable cause to initiate a seizure and a deficient due process procedure to provide appropriate judicial review of the proposed seizure. We have plenty of laws where fruits and tools of a crime are forfeit, but it is still innocent until proven guilty. And seizure should only occur when the assets are proven, beyond a reasonable doubt to be the fruits or tools of a crime.

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

The problem in the attempted seizure of the Marine veteran’s funds is no chain of custody showing a direct link between the money coming into his hands and criminal drug activity. This is like the problem in Op Fast and Furious where ATF lost observation of the weapons. The veteran has the money, but police and DEA have no independent direct knowledge of how, when, where, or from whom, he received the money. He does have paper records to support his explanation. I have never seen, or heard of a case, where drug dealers give out cash register receipts with a matching record copy. Without when, where and how/from whom you can’t get to why/for what (drug proceeds).

2 Likes

There is a new post in that thread about jailing your opposition for exercising their rights to fund political races. Theee are the same people who scream first amendment at every turn.

1 Like