City-size impact crater found under Greenland ice. Did it cause mega fauna extinction 12,000 years ago?

You were probably taught that the stone age mega fauna in North America such as the Mammoth had gone extinct because as ice retreated at the end of the an ice age man entered N. America and ate them all. Seems kind of silly now. I mean considering there was tons of Buffalo and millions of more natives here when Europeans showed up. Why didn’t they eat all the animals? Well,probably because they didn’t have gun powder.

Anyway, there is a growing body of evidence that the earth was stuck by and asteroid or comet 12,000 year ago causing mass extinctions, flooding and general chaos resulting in death of the mega fauna,and the Clovis culture. This article is about the recent discovery of a giant crater in Greenland that may have landed about that time.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/11/impact-crater-found-under-hiawatha-glacier-greenland-ice/

Personally, I think it would take more than one impact to cause that much damage. But there is a good chance that instead of just one impact there was a comet break up leading to the type of impact the shoemaker -levy9 recorded on Jupiter.

This guy does a great job explaining that theory…

Well I mean look at the Chuxluchub (I cant spell that crap to save my life) crater off the coast of Mexico. That monster doomed the dinosaurs and most other large vetebres that roamed at that time.

Comparing the impact of the 0.75 mi. dia. (est.) asteroid that made the crater in Greenland, to the 6 mi. dia. asteroid thought to have caused the demise of the dinosaurs, is much like comparing a 5.0 earthquake to a 9.9 quake.

Yeah that’s true.

Imagine something like that impacting today.

I read an article recently, I think it was in the Times, that said where an asteroid hits makes all the difference. Had the Mayan asteroid hit elsewhere the dinosaurs might not have died off.

It was the amount of hydrocarbons in the earth at the site of the impact that caused the extreme global climate change that doomed the dinosaurs.

I’m not sure if that’s so but it is interesting to contemplate.

It makes sense. And a deep ocean hit vs. on land or shallow water site could make a difference as well. Iceland for example, could be the result of an asteroid strike directly on the mid-ocean rift.