Citing Power Shortage, California Asks Drivers to Stop Charging Electric Cars

Ummm, that happened sooner than I thought
Where do we begin the discussion ?

August 24: California bans sale of new gasoline-powered cars

August 30: California asks Californians to avoid charging electric vehicles due to electricity shortages

4 Likes

It happens a couple of times a year or so when we get excessive heat and increased AC usage is expected. We are asked - not forced - to use less electricity between the hours of 4p and 9p. They even ask us not to use our washers and dryers during those hours (I tried to tell everyone electric washers and dryers were crazy in CA with all of our energy grid issues and we should stick to the good ole washboard or stones at the river, but did anyone listen to me? No!).

Anyways, anyone who has an EV and has no other option but to charge it between those hours are free to do so. They won’t get in trouble or anything.

4 Likes

But charging EVs is bad for California right?
I mean, if I pass a law requirin to do something
then ask you nicely not to do it . . . you don’t see a problem with that?

Will the problem get better or get worse when the number of EVs double?

2 Likes

If possible, just don’t do it between the hours of 4P and 9P a few times a year. But if you really must, go for it.

Note I did not syab
“California makes it illegal to charge vehicles.”
You are moving the goal posts.

Try this . . .
I pass a laws that syas
“You must do XYZ. It is a wonderful thing. It absolutely required!”

Four days later I say
“Please don’t do XYZ.”

2 Likes

California is a funny state.

1 Like

All the best comedys are filmed there.
(All the worst ones too.)

1 Like

A couple of scenarios come to mind -

1. I have all night to charge my car so, no problem, I’ll wait until 9p to start

2. Sorry, I don’t have any other option but to charge my car between the hours of 4p and 9p

I get the irony, but there are maybe 5 or so days a year where we are asked to try to cut back between 4p and 9p and it is not a big deal.

1 Like

I can give you credit for that.

BTW, despite my argumentations I’m a bad Californian. I don’t have an EV or solar on my house. I’ve always been a late adopter.

1 Like

I believe the California law (like a lot of laws) is silly and short-sighted.
But, like most americans I considered myself an environmentalist until I found out how silly and excessive most environmentalists are.

That said, one day EVs will make sense because in a long term sense it will be easier to develop clean technology for power plants than for millions of autos and home heating units.

1 Like

I suspect there is trace levels of peyote in the water supply. The little they have.

Setting AC at 78 is pretty high.

I run mine at 70-72 and that still is warm.

The bigger problem in California is the seismic uncertainty. It isn’t a problem until it is a huge problem.

yet. its gonna have to be more than a request after 2035

2 Likes

Going to guess it’s quite a bit more expensive though. By the way, in Norway they are at a dollar per kwh, costs a hundred bucks to charge a Tesla.

That’s a tea and lap blanet way of putting it.

1 Like

That’s called “local news”

They don’t want anybody driving.

1 Like

Well, not quite anybody, rich people will be able to.

3 Likes

Let’s save the trees and replace plastic bags for those evil, brown paper ones. :wink: