China agrees to a new trade deal

Yeah, but if easing sanctions on ZTE was a sticking point for the Chinese, congressional involvement makes it way harder to get anything done.

‘‘In return for concessions, the Chinese were expecting the administration to offer relief to the Chinese telecommunications firm ZTE, which had been crippled by national security sanctions that prevented it from buying any American technology’’

And:

‘‘The Chinese also found new resistance to their requests to relax the export controls that prevent them from buying militarily sensitive products. Mr. Mnuchin’s openness to this request set off fierce opposition within the administration, especially among Pentagon officials, who feared the sales could compromise American national security.’’

In any negotiation, you have to negotiate with the decision maker. Congress just let China know that Trump is not necessarily the decision maker.

It’s the job of the senate.

Maybe if Obama had the senate involvement with Iran deal we wouldn’t be in this position we are with them now…don’t you think?

it says the Chinese are buying the technology. Is that what you are calling “secrets”?

They’re not going to be allowed to buy it. Because it’s secret.

Maybe this will help you become better informed.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing that Trump was blocked here. I’m just saying that a deal looks less likely given involvement by congress.

You have to understand what China is doing. They are selling us cheap products in return for high technology good and knowledge. That’s the catch there. It’s the knowledge they are after.

And the profit from selling us cheap slave labor goods they are using that to fund their military with new technology from what we give them to challenge America on world stage.

That’s why I’ve said repeatedly over the 12 years I’ve been here, we shouldn’t be dealing with China.

We are funding their military so they can use our technology against us.

question… have you ever read one refereed journal article from … say … University of Beijing? As a total package, the university is not in the same league as MIT. But its students are no slouches. It’s not like whatever they buy from us is going to be a treasure trove of new high tech.

Now… I’m not in favor of giving or selling them anything unless we get something out of it. Trump is a deal maker and- unlike Obama - he doesn’t give away America’ best interest. Remember? You guys thought Trump was playing too rough with the Chinese? Remember?

IMO good. We shouldn’t be selling em our technology so they can use that against us.

this entire China trade agreement was bad from the start.

what is? our robots? our anti-gravity cars? The high tech production techniques used in ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians’ ?

What is currently secret that Trump is trying to sell to the Chinese?

It’s not Trump…it’s our own tech industry that’s trying to get Trump to allow it to be sold.

At this point Trump’s negotiations with China are a shambles. He wants a deal real bad to show-off. Lets see what happens. Thankfully the senate won’t let him give too much away.

If we knew, it wouldn’t be a secret…….dah.

Do you think at all before you ‘‘Reply’’

I agree. In fact, you can call me an isolationist.

But right now the strategy is to make them dependent on us. It’s a strategy… with a big capital S . Given that, I take the position that we have leverage over the Chinese when we deal with them.

I’m not recommending we transfer classified technology to them without having a strategic reason for doing so. So don’t go there.

That… I understand. And I hope that if Trump does make the technology available, he does what I said… get something out of it… and I do not mean cheap goods.

Where I work, I believe there would be a moderate sized layoff in the fall if it were not for FMS to countries that may not always be friendly. I can say this… the product is scrubbed so that no advanced classified technology is sent to them … intentionally or not.

the great negotiator is getting his ass kicked

at least some people see it.

Allan

If you did so well under Obama, why do you yearn so much for a different direction under Trump?

I’ve had access to great training by true masters plus I’ve always been a fighter. I’ll make it through good times and bad. I want the same for my fellow Americans who aren’t quite as blessed.