China about to strike Taiwan

I don’t know if we’ll come to the defense of Taiwan under this administration as we “officially” don’t see them as independent…

hitting the proverbial fan…

Taiwan and the Balkans. Those years of peace must end or people won’t get paid enough. :wink:

2 Likes

China would not only be taking Taiwan out but also a big competitor of theirs Taiwan Semiconductors in the process. It’s all in their China 2025 belt and road initiative strategy they want to be the worlds king of semiconductors. Taiwan out of the way helps that.

That’s a big reason, same reason why Taiwan is of key interest to the US, TSMC is also a publicly traded company on the NYSE…

"Taiwan dominates the foundry market, or the outsourcing of semiconductor manufacturing. Its contract manufacturers together accounted for more than 60% of total global foundry revenue last year, according to data by Taipei-based research firm TrendForce.

Much of Taiwan’s dominance can be attributed to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co or TSMC, the world’s largest foundry that counts major technology firms such as Apple, Qualcomm and Nvidia as its clients. TSMC accounted for 54% of total foundry revenue globally last year, TrendForce data showed."

1 Like

It’s my understanding that those fighter jets were sent as a message to Congress men and women who went to Taiwan showing them their support.

1 Like

We don’t have a treaty with Taiwan. We are under no obligation to aid them

1 Like

They need to move their operations to United States

1 Like

We definitely should not under any administration.

It’s a massive semiconducting company in Taiwan, China has been very open about incorporating Taiwan into their country. It’s not in the free worlds interest for China to control semiconductors.

3 Likes

I have mixed feelings about it.

The issue is that China would absorb the most important landmass on the planet when it comes to the thing that allows modern civilization to function. Semi conductors. It would take years before operations in the west could tool up to offer a competitive workload.

That said… going to war with China in the South China Sea is a recipe for disaster. They are prepared to fight us in their backyard. The entire strategy of the PLAN and Air Force is to lure us into range of their long range supersonic anti-ship missiles.

It would be an extremely bloody and expensive affair.

I do think one good thing would come of it. Maybe it’ll wake the West and her Asian Allies up and we can finally separate from the PRC.

I would not be happy about it if China invaded Taiwan, but it’s not worth going to war for the reasons you posted.

Agreed. I think that’s one of the only things holding them back at this point.

Does anyone here believe Xi will stop with Taiwan? For that matter that Putin will stop with the Ukraine? We are not going to get to choose in this thing, he will move against us. And you can expect a strike against our Japan based Carrier Group, probably while in port.

1 Like

Does that mean you think we should defend Taiwan militarily?

Conflict is coming, whether we like it or not. Xi is a 19th century expansionist emperor for life. You don’t get to choose your adversaries, they usually choose you. And it isn’t going to be about defending Taiwan, it is going to be about defending ourselves.

3 Likes

Doubtful. America has already been drawn into a war in Asia, following an attack on our docked ships. We won’t fall for that again.

1 Like

Taiwan is rough. It would be a very handy location to defend the Southern approach to Korea and Japan.

If this does happen, I suspect China will move on Taiwan and leave America out if it. We will then have a hard decision to make

That would actually not be a bad idea one of the big reasons China wants Taiwan is to take out the semiconductor competition. And while that would piss off China if that was located in the U.S. it would probably make Taiwan less of a target of China.

1 Like

I have seen similar charts it’s no secret for China to gain Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing into China’s sphere would be the equivalent of a country gaining the oil reserves of one of the Middle Eastern countries oil fields.

A glance at this semiconductor chart for Asia shows how big of a boost for China it would be to grab Taiwan’s Semiconductor Manufacturing.

The future will not be about oil alone as more it will be about semiconductors as well as rare earth metals in making them and lithium batteries.

2 Likes

Interesting. Suppose Taiwan rigged all the factories to blow as a counter measure?

They have been moving equipment to Arizona for awhile now, it doesn’t say how much. It is the main reason China wants them back.

1 Like