Children in Florida school encouraged to write graffiti on bathroom walls

So who has the right to decorate walls in schools? Nobody?

These children are not going to put on their smocks, gather their sketches, paints, brushes, drop cloths, and invade a movie theater bathroom.

2 Likes

Do you think these kids are too stupid to realize the difference that they were given permission to paint the walls at school and not a theater? And if they do it at a theater and get caught, they’ll be punished.

Clearly this is the end of civilization as we know it.

2 Likes

My father was a high school principal and he got approval for art students to paint the mascot on the wall outside the main office. He had to get approval from the school board and superintendent of schools. So I am pretty sure that the teachers did not just decide to paint the bathrooms.

Heres some school-age graffiti on the arts and crafts building at my local fairgrounds…tagging up a county building no less.

From the OP’s link: The bathrooms aren’t the only thing that’s being painted around the school. Teachers and the principal, Badonna Dardis, started a few years back painting quotes and murals on walls in the hallways. She said they usually paint on early release days.

Someone call Betsy DeVos! This cannot continue. Next, they will allow dancing.

2 Likes

Well, the bathroom isn’t the most conventional place for an art project.

But it is a place we all use, and the teacher’s intention was to improve it through motivational sayings & pictures—not deface or destroy it.

So I will go ahead & call it art rather than graffiti.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Janet as my wife informed me. School bathrooms are a place of major teasing and bullying. So while making them nice places they are also sending positive messages to all kids.

3 Likes

From your OP link: Dardis estimates it’ll take them about four to five years to cover all of the walls in the school.

It’s not too late to put a stop to this- what’s the plan?

https://www.google.com/search?q=conditions+of+chicago+public+schools&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&prmd=nimv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTj-OX4tLgAhWoy4MKHW1SANsQ_AUoAnoECAwQAg&biw=412&bih=701#imgrc=3duhtF30_dDdSM

Perhaps this is what we should expect in public school bathrooms.

I’m guessing since it is on the school system facebook page, it was approved at the highest levels. In our school corp. Nothing is put on web site or FaceBook without superintendents approval.

Still, no response to my query to you to cite proof this is school sponsored graffiti.

1 Like

Where exactly are you drawing the line on what constitutes defacement? Is it coming down to the medium - that paint is involved? What if they used stickers? Or taped up poster-boards? Would that be crossing the line? Would student made artwork up in the classroom be a problem? If a teacher brings in some art or a poster print and puts that up, is that a bad example?

johnhwk- if it were pictures of a male’s genitals or something, I could see where you are coming from and would actually agree with you. But it seems as though it is simply a well-intentioned project to boost young girls’ self-esteem. I wish they did something like that when I was in elementary and middle school. It sounds like a lovely idea. And it’s really pretty, too. Not just writing on the wall.

4 Likes

I used to be against bathroom graffiti

and then I spent 10 years here.

2 Likes

Pretty sure. I am pretty sure the project was in house and did not go through the School Board. Can you post the information from Lakeland’s Board of Education granting such permission to the local school, and a compilation of the codes, rules and regulations applicable to the project?
JWK

The Democrat Party Leadership has been encouraging the current ongoing invasion of our southern border since 1985 when amnesty was granted to 2.5 million illegal entrants in return for a guarantee to build a wall and secure our border. And here we are today, no wall, but 10-15 million new illegal entrants and the invasion continues

This is turning into one of the all time great HannityLand threads.

Like this is gold. Like 7 dollars per gallon gas good.

5 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :laughing: :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::grin:

Funny!

Or shots fired at Al Franken’s house.

Civil dissent indeed!