Chicken season is upon us

In 2020, I raised Jersey Giants as capons, but one of the chicks turned out to be a pullet.

She laid some giant eggs, but unfortunately was broody and ended up breaking most of them due to her weight. :smile:

1 Like

I try to buy fresh eggs at the Farmer’s market. We aren’t allowed to have chicken coops in my 'hood. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

That sucks. What a terrible world where people don’t even realize that chickens belong in people’s yards. They’re one of humanity’s best symbiotes.

1 Like

Yes, it really does suck. I think I can get an exemption if I say it is my emotional support pet. If that doesn’t work, I’ll say I identify as a chicken and it is my husband who identifies as a woman and that is why he can lay eggs.

Then, I will say I am good for the environment because I eat the eggs so the chickens don’t contribute to CO2.

:innocent:

1 Like

My chickens primary forage. But I feed them plenty of live mealworms, live crickets and the occasional remains of something my dogs have found and killed. :smile:

We get the good orange yolks.

1 Like

I took a pic once of my eggs with a single store bought (generic, large) egg in the middle. The difference is worlds apart.

Chickens turn the nasty things into delicious, healthy things.

They also help capons develop very tasty meat. While they get plenty of bugs and stuff from foraging, I also supplement the capons with worms, mealworms and other insects, particularly in the couple of weeks just prior to slaughter. Gives the meat a very good flavor.

1 Like

Four months and they are fully grown. If they were hens they would just be starting to lay. Putting on weight very nicely. Should be slaughter ready by August.

BTW, found an interesting photograph that shows the difference between Capons and Roosters.

Both birds hatched at the same time, but one was caponized and the other left intact. Almost no comb and wattle on the capon and behaviorally they were completely opposite.

1 Like