Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys want “European Army”

If you have anything to rebut me, go ahead.

You made unsupported statements. Why is it someone else’s responsibility to disprove them?

Thank you Dulles brothers.

Never is a long time.

Actually, the US didn’t have a military to rival France up until the 1940s.

You were insulted by things that weren’t said because you didn’t bother to check them out.

That’s my definition of worked up.

Why do you continue to take a known liar’s words at face value?

Just in case it wasn’t clear that the President is an idiot.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1062311785787744256

The next day after the WW1 anniversary he tweets this. Stunning. What a dick.

IMO, the LAST THING we want is a European continent filled with dozens of different armies. It’s the old model that brought us WWI and WWII. When countries have armies and say, they elect an jerk…well, now a jerk has an army. It’s the Middle East on a larger scale.

Also, then, when Russia starts their western expansion, every country they take over gives them another standing army to use to their liking.

Re: our level of funding - we WANT to be the biggest contributor. That way, we call the shots. If european countries start paying MORE to NATO, or to us directly int eh case of the pacific countries, then THEY ARE THE CUSTOMER> And we are nothing more than a mercenary force.

1 Like

Freedom fries was simply a joke. Why can’t you comprehend that is was just a little bit of dry humor?

This is how you strengthen relationships with allies…

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1062311785787744256

Let’s bash France about WWII, that’s a new one…

LOL. “Dry humor.”

Jonathan Swift is dry humor. Evelyn Waugh is dry humor. Joseph Heller is dry humor Fernwood Tonight and The Office are dry humor. The music of Steely Dan and Randy Newman is “dry humor.” This Is Spinal Tap is dry humor. The first film version of The Manchurian Candidate is dry humor. Dry humor is often subtle and it sometimes cuts in different directions.

Freedom Fries was about as “dry” as a week-long Three Stooges Marathon. Yeah: mocking the French! They’re bad at wars! It’s sophisticated. Don’t you get it?

It was a stupid, obvious, cliched, reactionary, jingoistic propaganda stunt originating from GOP criminal congressman Bob Ney (tried, convicted, and imprisoned) to snipe at France for not supporting the US strongly enough as we undertook our dumb war in Iraq–you know, the war our current GOP president lambasted his opponents for supporting.

2 Likes

As the old proverb goes, “too many cooks spoil the broth.” Trying to create an army using so many independent sovereign nations, result in a bloat of high level officers and dignitaries, all trying to be relevant and control everything?

I think the process would be filled with generals and politicians assigned using affirmative action type quotas, to pacify every nation involved. so that they feel their nation has a say in how the army is being run.

It was a simple twist on words, to push the buttons of people. Don’t get so worked up over it. Enjoy a few slices of freedom toast with butter and syrup, over a cup of coffee, and chill.

Tell that to 2003-era Bob Ney.

Tell that to the 33% who said it was a “patriotic expression” in a 2005 Gallup poll.

It’s always that one-third, isn’t it. :wink:

For those of us who regularly got called traitors (no dry humor there; it was sincere) and worse on this board (and elsewhere) for being right about a costly and unnecessary war–it wasn’t really cute and punny at the time. It was just another manifestation of the attitude that took us into Iraq. As a now long-recovering right-wingnut, the lead up to–and early years of the Iraq war–were politically formative experiences.

3 Likes

Why do only one third see it as the silly joke that it was? Why do so many people get their panties in a bunch over something trivial and silly. It was a joke, meant to push people’s buttons. Wow, fifteen years later… and boy has it ever.

Freedom fries was said in the same vein as ‘Murika!! The difference, I guess, is it’s not a joke when it’s offensive to them.

Give it a rest people.

I was not in favor of the war with Iraq, but when I heard the phrase “freedom fries,” I rolled my eyes at it, saw the humor in it, and forgot about it.

The president calling ISIS the junior varsity squad, and sitting on his hands as they raped, murdered enslaved and pillaged their way across Iraq, taking over the cities we died and bled for, that upset me. A silly joke with a twist of phrase about french fries?.. nope, didn’t care, still don’t.

When a person gets upset over something as stupid as freedom fries, it’s time they accessed how tightly their butt cheeks are clenched.

I remember the non stop “with us or against us!” BS throughout that time. The funny part is that Trump is totally against the Iraq war- and now conservatives try to pretend they weren’t either. Ha ha! Hey- at least they still have their freedom fries.