CDC Statistics - Holy Smokes!

That’s horrible, I’m sorry to hear that. Really another example of why people shouldnt smoke.

For brevity, I’m not chastising anyone since I’m one of those who has smoked. Just glad I didnt start until well after my own daughter was born and never exposed her to it.

I think it was put a picture of a cancer ridden lung, label it “tumors”, and I’d still buy it… but that was before he quit smoking, obviously.

It’s good he did, might have saved him a few years but the damage is already done. Interestingly people will use anecdotal situations to justify their reasoning in some cases. Like my Grandma who lived to 95 smoked her whole life.

Yes that happens but anyone could use empirical evidence and figure out that their anecdotes are outliers. But then again how many people live their lives day to day based on stats?

The latest situation based on a virus has in essence forced them to either my mandate or enough worry, and THAT actually is interesting if you think about it.

1 Like

The latest situation based on a virus has in essence forced them to either my mandate or enough worry, and THAT actually is interesting if you think about it.

Not sure what you are saying (re your mandate)… what mandate?

I’m saying the latest mandate of stay at home and choose to avoid potentially losing their lives or ignore it go out and face it.

Difference between tobacco and the Coronavirus is how fast it can kill you. Not only that is you dying from tobacco is mostly your choice. You getting Coronavirus is based on you going into public and putting yourself up again a whole lot of other people who have made the same choice and dont care what happens to you.

Put another way, I’ll stand closer than 6 feet to 100 people who have smoked a cigarette in the last hour knowing a large percentage of them will probably die prematurely. I wont do so for 100 people I dont know where they have been or who they have been around in the past 2 weeks, coughing and wheezing.

Thanks Indy. She’s actually pretty healthy. She swam and played volleyball in High school 30+ years ago. Came home from work, an
And she’s in the yard raking leaves today. This virus could kill her…or she fights it off. She used to get bronchitis or worse pneumonia every spring and fall since I have known her since 1983. She always fights it off. She’s a teacher and gets exposed to all kinds of bugs in the first grade…so we are both glad the schools are on lock down!!!

It’s not the worst in it’s various forms.

Ok…i would agree. I smoke a couple of cigars a week in the summer, and I don’t worry about it killing me. You wont inhale a cigar or pipe tobacco. You savor the blend…enjoy the taste.

So I would agree with that.

Chewing it. Snuff.

Well that’s not the healthiest…stomach cancer or mouth cancer can suck pretty bad.

I didn’t say it is healthy.

Me neither…

Can you believe less than 3,000 people died during 9/11 and I still have to take my shoes off at the airport? More people die driving to the airport :thinking:

Uncontrolled, the coronavirus could kill millions of people in the worse case scenario. To the the extent that it doesn’t is because of medical and policy intervention.

1 Like

Agree with you. Incidentally, the original intent of this thread was not to compare smoking mortality with C-virus threat. But somehow it seems to have gone in that direction. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I mean if all of our policies and reactions were based on logic, tabacco would be illegal and marijuana would be legal in all 50 states. What makes the coronavirus more alarming is that it’s “novel.”

We shouldn’t be totally numb to all of the unnecessary deaths caused by smoking, pollution and other preventible causes of death.

You are being disingenuous. Of course you did.

For people interested in the Coronvirus, I started a thread March 6 when we were at just a couple hundred cases.

20 days later we’re over 80,000.

Our death rate isn’t anywhere near Italy’s or some of the other countries with lower numbers, but the amount of hospitals overtaxed by new patients continue to grow.

Here’s the link for anyone interested.

“You are being disingenuous. Of course you did.”

Wrong! You are being argumentative and perhaps projecting how you operate onto me. And the fact that you started a post is irrelevant. So did I - re: upcoming possible treatment breakthrough. if I had meant to compare to virus I would have said so as I am not one who avoids being direct. No apology from you is necessary.