CDC Statistics - Holy Smokes!

With all the focus on Coronavirus I went to the CDC website (link below) to see what I would see and found a lot of other info that is quite eye-opening about various diseases. This one came as a surprise (I am a non-smoker):

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States

If you are naturally curious you might take a look at other various threats to your existence. Don’t mean this to be morbid, just interesting.

3 Likes

The biggest killer in America is heart disease.

Smoking doesn’t make this latest virus any easier to recover, whether among men in China or both men and women in Italy:

Was there a point in your op?

Didn’t suggest that you should compare to Coronavirus - you just did. Why? Need to rant?

Where you planning on answering the question?

Just wanted to let you have an opportunity to state it so we can all know what point you are trying to make. I have an idea, let’s see if it shakes out.

I said it was interesting. Some things can be interesting … don’t have to debate “everything”. What you do with the info is your choice and you clearly communicated your choice. No hard feelings tho.

Yeah lots of things can kill you, that is fairly well known. It’s also well known that tobacco use in its various forms is one of the worst.

A comedian Denis Leary, once joked and I’m paraphrasing. “They could put a Skull and Crossbones on a pack of cigarettes and I’d still buy it”.

If you find something that is already well known to be interesting so be it.

No it isn’t.

I found the numbers interesting. No one in my household had a clue. Maybe because we don’t smoke. 1 out of 5 deaths are caused by smoking was quite surprising to us. We don’t know everything here.

Dont smoke or be around it, it’s very bad stuff, that’s all you really need to know.

Roughly 8 million deaths a year are attributed to tobacco use, 7 of which is direct users of it according to the WHO.

Of course there are the idiots who would choose to deny the straight empirical evidence of this which has been studied for decades upon decades but whatever. All you really need to know is tobacco use relatee death unlike various other ways to get yourself killed is completely unavoidable.

Nicotine is one hell of an addiction. Don’t do it if you haven’t.

3 Likes

No it isn’t. Tobacco use is not one of the worst…or it isn’t well known?

You are correct there. I bet if nicotine could make you drop dead in a 3 week span like an airborne virus can, a lot more people would be leery of it. As it is, the chance you MIGHT get cancer 30 years from now worries almost no one, but the feel good effects now are totally worth the risk.

My wife is missing a pulmonary artery and really only has one oversized working lung…because her mom smoked while she was pregnant.

Why is this in politics?

1 Like

The dopamine receptors are a force to be reckoned with.

I think you meant to say “avoidable”?

Yes I did, mea culpa.

Good question. I reflexively posted here because I was reading virus-related posts in the political area, which included references to various diseases and mortality rates so I went to CDC site for more info and came across the cigarette discussion.