CDC confirm the first case of the new human to human virus in America

I shouldn’t say we are overdue.

We haven’t had one in quite some time.

They are likely random events.

At any rate…any virus that’s new?

I don’t mind having a huge fuss made over them.

It’s how they’re stopped.

1 Like

Aren’t viruses more dangerous then plague?

The flu season isn’t close to over yet.

80,000 died in 2018 due to influenza.

Most of the deaths of course are in the elderly and those with otherwise compromised immune systems.

China

No kidding??? I was talking about the 2019 year. From January 1 2019 to December 31, 2019. Not the flu season.

2 Likes

They are all different. The common cold is a virus.

One is transmitted through air other is through body fluids.

I think this is in @toreyj01 wheelhouse.

1 Like

It depends on the bacteria. Some bacteria, like those that are Gram-negative, are highly infectious, or at least, highly symptomatic. Viruses can be as well. If we’re talking about contagion, then viruses, or if we’re talking virulence factors, I would definitely go with bacteria. (I’m comparing bacteria and viruses because the plague is a bacteria with a flea vector).

1 Like

*One is transmitted through an animal vector and one has an intermediate host.
Or really, both could be blood-borne, if the blood is contaminated I suppose. And one (the virus) could also be air-borne. Lots of ways to catch a “bug.”

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Gosh I can’t wait until I take immunology, parasitology, virology, and etiology. These courses are going to be fun. :grin:

1 Like

Start learning the Krebs cycle now.

1 Like

What if I’ve already learned it?

You’ll be ahead of the curve.

Other than the final lab practical that was the toughest part of Micro 1

1 Like

Not panicking, but 2% of 300 million is 6 million, not 21,000.

140 million out of 7 billion.

The fact that we know little about this one and it’s already here is the part where I hope someone is panicking and developing a vaccine.

I envy you this. I would kill just to be able to sit there.

1 Like

I’d managed to erase that period from my memory. Idiots were going crazy, cable news and tabloids fanning the flames sure as ■■■■ didn’t help.

Hopefully they learned a less… :laughing:. Nevermind.

1 Like

Your latter figure is bordering on hysteria. The most virulent illness doesn’t come close to infecting 100% of the population.

And the person who cited 21,000 started with 1 million infected, not 300 million.

We have no idea if 300 million will become infected by this.

1 Like

I was just considering Americans with the 300 million figure. You brought up the Spanish flu which infected 500 million. As I said, I’m not panicking, but it’d be nice if the vaccine or whatever means to fight this virus was discovered before it jumped borders.

So is this how the zombie apocalypse starts

1 Like

Nobody reads anymore? The 21,000 number was the number of people in the US who died of influenza in calendar year 2019. I posted it.