Canada ban conversion therapy

aberrant defined by who?

Why, then, is there are billable diagnosis code?

And why, if advocates for the mentally ill want to destigmatize mental illness, is there an effort to deny feeling out of sync with the sex of one’s birth is a mental illness?

Treatment of gender dysphoria doesn’t require someone convert from homosexuality to heterosexuality.
Treatment of gender dysphoria is about dealing with the emotional stress of feeling trapped in your birth gender, the most common treatment is openly transitioning.

gender dysphoria doesn’t effect all transgender people.

1 Like

My personal belief is that consenting adult should be free to do whatever harmful things they wish but I understand the government want to remove any and all legal standing these clinics could possibly operate on.

1 Like

Even the name is a lie.

1 Like

Yep this. Exactly this.

While i generally agree that it is a mental disorder the fact that there is a billing code/ diagnostic code is immaterial.

You can go to a doctor to get your body mutilated into something resembling the opposite sex, but Society forbid that you should ever want to be straight if you’re deemed to be gay. What a world. :rofl:

3 Likes

I am not for minors having conversion therapy only adults. The same goes for transitioning hormones to people under the age of 18.

1 Like

Agreed.

who is the person that deems if one is straight or gay.

is there some-type of gay judge sitting on a lovely pink throne?

What about conversion therapy from normal to trans or homosexual?

does such conversion therapy exist?

Of course, it’s ubiquitous

:rofl:Sure it is.

The political left medical community disagrees.

1 Like

Really…Canada has now come to their senses and made it illegal to convert, coerce and manipulate young, innocent children from the sex they were born with, into the mass, woke confusion of what ever the sex is that the adults in their lives choose them to be? Wow…that is good news…eh?

3 Likes

Good news. So they are banning surgery on gay boys to convert them into straight girls?

Likewise is there a ban surgery on lesbian girls to make them into straight boys?

1 Like

My question as well until I read the definition:

Reference to the law indicates that “conversion therapy” is illegal whether consentedto or not. It is defined very broadly:

Definition of conversion therapy
320.‍101 In sections 320.‍102 to 320.‍104, conversion therapy means a practice, treatment or service designed to
(a) change a person’s sexual orientation to heterosexual;
(b) change a person’s gender identity to cisgender;
(c) change a person’s gender expression so that it conforms to the sex assigned to the person at birth;
(d) repress or reduce non-heterosexual attraction or sexual behaviour;
(e) repress a person’s non-cisgender gender identity; or
(f) repress or reduce a person’s gender expression that does not conform to the sex assigned to the person at birth.
For greater certainty, this definition does not include a practice, treatment or service that relates to the exploration or development of an integrated personal identity — such as a practice, treatment or service that relates to a person’s gender transition — and that is not based on an assumption that a particular sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression is to be preferred over another.

What I get from the last paragraph is that if conversion is the result of therapy not directed at conversion, and where the provider has not advocated conversion, then it is likely not subject to the law. Perhaps one of our Canadian friends can comment?