Can One Believe in Science and God at the Same Time?

Is it safe to say that you cannot accept death? Alternately, can you name the faith and denomination of people who tell people, especially you, that they cannot accept death?

Possibly you have just bought into the atheist Urban Legend that people of faith cannot accept death?

They are able to accept death because their religions tell them if they join the club, they will not really die, but enjoy some kind of afterlife.

Again, which faith, which denomination deal with people who cannot accept death? Jews in particular, and Catholics as well, deal with living this life to the fullest. I want to know which denominations deal with people who are afraid of death–or apparently more afraid of death than atheists.

Again. Religion is way to cope with death. Thus their followers aren’t afraid of it.

Sometimes I wish I could believe I would walk on clouds after I die.

Correct me if I am wrong. You are a non-believer, and the only reason you can fathom for people to believe is that they must be afraid of death. If so, this is barking up the wrong tree. It comes across as, “I can cope with death, so I don’t need religion. Therefore, people who need religion must need a way to cope with death.”

Answer this: People of religion do not need a way to cope with death. Why, then, do they believe in God?

There is no evidence for either.

Pithy, but true.

I believe they do need a way to cope with death. I think that is one of the main reasons they invented religion.

I understand that is your belief. What evidence is there that people of faith need religion to cope with death? (Other than the opinions of atheists, of course. :wink: )

Again, that doesn’t make any sense. Both Christianity and Islam teach the possibility of eternity in a fiery hell. They teach that it is a possibility even for members of the respective religions.
How is that easier to cope with than the belief that after death there is nothing? I’ve heard your talking point often but you need to look at the absurdity of it before you offer it up.

You are correct. This is my belief.

My evidence is the same as the evidence for the existence of a Giant Invisible Man In The Sky.

Control is another reason for the existence of religion.

First, join our club.

Second, act the way we want.

Third, eternal life in the clouds.

Because the possibility of an afterlife is more comforting for some than the thought of oblivion.

An afterlife in hell? No, I don’t think so.

Does Christianity only offer hell as an afterlife?

I don’t think you know very much about religion. A huge number of people suffering clinical depression and anxiety disorders are religious people who fear going to hell.

Not quite. You see, I work with groups of believers, and have posed this question. No one has a problem accepting death. I have lived with atheists all of my life. The one thing they have in common with believers is that they do not have a problem accepting death. I am willing to bet that if you conducted your own surveys, you, too, will find most people–whether believers or not–have no problem accepting death. Most (on both sides) add that they do not want death to come too soon. (Or too late.) So, you can find evidence, just choose not to pursue it.

On the other hand, when dealing with the spiritual realm, we start from the foundation there is no evidence and proceed from there. Religion is more philosophy than science, because science, by definition must deal with matter and measurements.

Is this your belief? Try naming the denomination(s) that teach/pursue this.

I’ll agree with that. The threat of damnation and eternal torture was used by the medieval Church (and later American Protestantism) to such good effect that it created a collective neurosis among a lot of religious concerning their eternal fate. It can be a difficult thing to live with, and an exceedingly difficult thing to deprogram.

Then you agree that people do not flock to religion so they can easily accept death.