Can One Believe in Science and God at the Same Time?

I say unequivocally yes. I don’t know of any faith that teaches its followers to remain illiterate, or ignorant, or not learn. Ignorant ex employee I’m still stuck hearing everything about because everyone else in the unit became her friend says you can’t accept God if you accept science.

So, if you teach science, or work in research, or are a Jewish, Muslim, other professional whose work involves a good science education, you have to abandon your faith? That even sounds stupid. Many Jews, represented quite a bit in professions like dentistry and medicine, would most likely disagree.

It’s also an insult against persons of faith, many of whom are learned people outside the faith and in disciplines other than religion. Personally, I don’t care if someone doesn’t believe in God. I don’t want to see either side needlessly insulted, those who don’t believe or those who do.

Do you guys believe a worshipper must abandon science? Or someone whose passion is in the sciences can’t explore faith? Discuss.

1 Like

Once people realize that the two go hand-in-hand, everything changes (in a good way).

2 Likes

Depends on the type of God you believe

Easily they don’t disprove each-other.

1 Like

Since there is no sound in space the big bang must have been more of a big flash… Let their be light…

It is as easy to believe in both God/faith and science as it is to believe in both math and English. Science explores the physical world. Faith is an exploration of the philosophical world.

1 Like

Many of the greatest scientists in history were deeply religious men.

So yes it is certainly possible.

1 Like

I think one can believe in some forms of God and adhere to science. Done other forms, there is a contradiction.

That should read “some other forms”

Given that science isn’t something one believes in? Yes.

Interesting that Free Masons don’t get a mention in regard to religion/science.

Only if you accept that the bible is myth.

Science deals with the natural. Religion with the supernatural. If you are viewing both correctly, there is no conflict.

3 Likes

Science wouldn’t exist without God.

3 Likes

Sure. If people believe in a Giant Invisible Man In The Sky, then they’ll believe anything.

Essentially believing in this kind of stuff covers their asses because most people can’t accept death otherwise. They compartmentalize using the concept of ‘faith’. That argument would NEVER fly in science, but then they might not be walking on clouds after they die.

I think you’re quoting atheist talking points that don’t really make sense.
What is easier to accept: death = nothingness or death could equal an eternity in a burning hell?

Physicist and Engineer and Calvinist.

God made this incredibly complex universe, and our inexplicable minds.
He gave us these big brains, it would violate the Protestant Work Ethic not to use them.

2 Likes

I’ll have to let Canada’s Professor Emeritus Keith Moore know that.

He was invited by a committee at the KSA’s King Abdulaziz University to compare his knowledge of human embryology vs what’s revealed in the Qu’ran about it. He found the two matched.

How about various Jewish professionals—physicians, dentists, teachers—who have a good science education? Better let them know that, too.

Now doesn’t that even sound ridiculous?

Based on evidence, the former.

Smart people buy into the fairy tale to avoid death.

So what?