Can Mass Shootings Be Stopped?

I don’t see a whole lot to argue against there.

Congrats, it’s a completely different culture so comparisons to the US are nonsensical.

Of course it’s non productive, it isn’t intended to be productive. The intent is simply to further divide us and to achieve a disarmament goal the left has had for at least four or five decades if not longer.

They are happy to drag the dead bodies of school kids through the streets in pursuit of that goal.

Is that what I’m doing? Is that what the study Sneaky referenced is talking about?

8 of the 12 worst mass shootings in US history involved handguns and shotguns.

Nobody is advocating for “universal weapons ownership”.

If you had a honest argument to make you would have to start off with dishonesty.

Las Vegas was an anomaly for numerous reasons. They need to release the real report, my guess is they don’t know anything because it is an anomaly.

Two completely different cultures. Think.

Mass shootings, youth violence and suicides are the result of a cultural problem in the raising of our youth.

Still human being though right?

Is there any way to jettison the parts of our culture that encourage violence? If single parents are the problem, what about an enormous tax cut for people who don’t have any children? I’d rather not encourage incompatible families to stay together with tax cuts, but discouraging irresponsible child creation from the start seems ok.

To answer the OP’s question…

Yes

Are we gonna do what it takes?

No

Tax cuts would work great as an encouragement…if…they are employed? Maybe applying your idea would cure more than one problem?

Ridiculous.

There plane flights to those locations every day. Perhaps you should relocate. :cowboy_hat_face:

This opinion (absent fathers are a major reason young males decide to murder) got me going down the rabbit hole after seeing other members compare us to Japan in relation to mass shooting incidents. It seems they also deal with the phenomenon of absentee fathers over there:

Obviously this is just one article I found during a cursory online search, but if it’s accurate what’s interesting is the way young Japanese males have responded to their absent fathers. One such reaction is “herbivore men”, or males who have never married/have no interest in romantic relationships. The article points out this is largely due to the males seeing little benefit to themselves in marrying - to their mind you essentially marry and then work yourself to death just to give your wife money. It’s considered bizarre when a father is seen at home for any extended amount of time - why isn’t he at work? What’s also interesting is that despite Japan having an entertainment industry that glorifies violence as much as the West’s (another theory people bring up to explain mass shooters), the young males there went in the opposite direction - not towards notions of hypermasculinity and violence, but the reverse - a willful self-emasculation and passivity. That mindset, coupled with Japan’s strict gun laws, may be factors (among others) that can explain why young Japanese men seem less inclined to lash out violently to the same degree American males do, even though they have the same problems with absentee fathers and access to the same violent entertainment.

This is just my expansion on your theory and of course, I realize I’m comparing to vastly different cultures. One emphasizes individualism and entitlement, the other community and the diminishment of self. One allows its citizens ready access to firearms relative to the other, where firearms are extremely difficult to legally obtain. Two cultures, two polar opposite reactions - one that sometimes results in mass shootings, one in the emasculation of its male population. Neither extreme is particularly desirable.

Good post. Could you expound on this please?

“Allows” access to firearms?

What? And become an immigrant?

He should stay in his home country and fight to make things better.

His better is not mine.

Hitler, Stalin, and Mao were human too. How much do you have in common with them?