California to pull the plug on the over budget behind schedule bullet train

Maybe California can now afford to buy toilet paper for San Francisco?

You and I will both be dead by the time the true effects of humanity take place. I’m sure our grandchildren will thank both of us if we don’t get serious about the environment.

They didn’t fail, they just found one way that didn’t work!

How does one get from the USA to Australia, or Europe from America
on a Billion dollar train?

Leave it to the right to reduce it to “hurrr durrr… planes will be banned”.

from my erlier post. If not an outright ban on in country air travel, they will make it so it’s too expensive for anyone to travel within country by air.

This is the same way the “green new deal” will go… Remember republicans laughing at the Browns’s bullet train. I bet most dems don’t… They thought it was the greatest idea ever.

Did we see any Cox ads making fun of the train… No. We saw about zero advertising from reps in cal.

All cities have problems if you look for them hard enough and want to use them for political purposes. Stossel’s propaganda piece missed a lot (on purpose).

How will “they make it” too expensive?

Or are you just blurring the semantics of the issue? If something is “made obsolete”, it has fundamentally been replaced, and therefore it is not really about cost, only an argument of potentially speed. Regardless, what is the issue with shorter routes being replaced with more efficient types of travel, why is that so irksome to the right?

When these issues are framed in hyperbole it makes any real discussion impossible. Someone presents a new plan to reduce fossil fuel usage by building up other transportation, but the headline is “AOC wants to ban planes”… why even bother…

You don’t have to look for it in SF or LA or NYC…It’s in your face…

The US is just too large for such a project to work. We are one of the most rural 1st world nations on the planet. In most of the US you literally can’t make it without a car.

Instead let’s just keep developing electric vehicles so that they can replace ICE powered vehicles.

You’d need a better battery for those to be green.

I wonder why they removed the Stossle video on SF homelessness?

Never said they were green. Building Lithium-Ion batteries is a dirty business.

I support electrification because it reduces our dependence on petroleum for transportation.

They are also mechanically simpler than ICE powered vehicles. An electric motor has one moving part. No valve train, no rotating assembly, no exhaust system (and as a byproduct no emissions control system to screw up). They also convert nearly 90% of their potential energy into work energy. Compared to diesels with have a conversion rate of around 35-40% and gasoline with a 29-35% conversion rate. They are much more efficient.

Plus instantaneous torque. Like 1,000 ft lbs as soon as you touch the accelerator.

I’ve never been to LA but SF and NYC are beautiful cities. You should turn off your radio and get out more.

Trains in Europe are awesome. I’ve been on the one that goes from London to Paris under the channel and some in Ireland.

Maybe if we make all illegal drugs legal, then we can just take some
shrooms, and acid, and then America will have railroad tracks,
to and from Australia and the U.S., and Europe and the U.S.

I wouldn’t plan on taking any illegal drugs ever in general again,
and wouldn’t get on these imaginary railroad tracks crossing the
oceans though.

If they want bullet trains to all cities with major airports – unless they have a lot of train leaving each city in both directions multiple times per day, it’s not time nor cost effective. So how does air travel become irrelevent at that point. Answer it doesn’t. They have to do something else to make air travel irrelevent.

Maybe if scientists are right and sea levels rise and the coasts are submerged and nothing can survive in the oceans but jellyfish, maybe then Republicans will finally decide that some inconvenience and sacrifice is worth protecting the only place in the universe we can live. But I doubt it.

And I think Ice Caps will melt and sea’s rise without any interference from man, in fact nothing man can do to prevent it. Just like at some point in the future the earth will start toward another Ice Age and nothing man can do will stop it.