California Oregon Washington Fires

That’s pretty wicked looking.

I hope they too are safe and in good spirits.

That’s horrible! Much prayers for the people out there. The wife and I drove through a controlled burn motorcycling in Florida about 20 years ago out in the boonies. Found out they do that to clear undergrowth so the Glades don’t burn down! Both sides of the 2 lane were on fire for about 2 miles and they hadn’t closed the road so there we were! Scared the ■■■■ out of the both of us; the smoke the heat the unknown. I wasn’t stopping and when we got through and had a chance to stop at a safe area we were hydrating and screaming: “WHAT THE ■■■■ WAS THAT” at each other!
Can’t even imagine what those folks out west are going through.

The majority of forests in CA is managed by the feds, not the state.

It is absolutely ridiculous, to think the extreme temperatures, extreme droughts, year after year…are not the major cause of these massive fire events. Even more ridiculous to not think climate change has anything to do with it.

If we, as a society were responsible, informed, and not so damn greedy…we could do many things to slow down the climate change effects.

But…sadly…we choose not to. Well, at least enough of us choose not to…which effects all of us.

I am a CA native, and was just a few miles away form the mandatory evacuations a couple weeks ago.

Thanks. Working on it.

LOL…fires have always been a way of life out west…always.

And how would you go about doing this?

For rest of forum members.

Here is Mt Baker record keeping for last 50 years or so.

70’s average 671.8
80’s average 607.7
90’s average 620.3
2000 637.6
2010 707.8

As you can see there is some fluctuation but nothing drastic. It comes and goes.

500 years ago a great fire burned most of western Washington west side of hump. If you know anything about Cascades you all know that’s the wet side. Just about all the fires out here are on eastern side of the hump.

The twentieth century was the wettest era of the last 7000 years in California. The prolonged hot dry climate that you are experiencing is essentially a return to “normal” for that part of the country.

I read about this a couple of years ago:

Today, as California burns once again under torrential wildfires, many Californians have been asking why the dramatic increase in wildfires in the last five years… that is everyone except Governor Jerry Brown. Governor Brown claims that year-round, devastating fires are the “new normal” we must accept.

Megan Barth and I reported Monday:

“Supporting Obama-era regulations have resulted in the new normal: an endless and devastating fire season. Obama-era regulations introduced excessive layers of bureaucracy that blocked proper forest management and increased environmentalist litigation and costs– a result of far too many radical environmentalists, bureaucrats, Leftist politicians and judicial activists who would rather let forests burn, than let anyone thin out overgrown trees or let professional loggers harvest usable timber left from beetle infestation, or selectively cut timber.”

The agency published a report in late February that said forest management efforts by the state, federal government and private landowners were “inadequate to improve the health of millions of acres of forests and wildlands” that require maintenance. The agency reported that up to 15 million acres of California forest need some form of restoration.

The report recommended that the state waive and streamline regulatory requirements and direct Cal Fire to immediately begin 35 fuel reduction projects, such as the removal of dead trees, brush clearing and prescribed burns to create fuel breaks, defensible space and safe travel corridors on 90,000 acres of land around cities and towns vulnerable to wildfires.

From what I rad a couple of years ago, removal of dead trees, etc. used to actually be a revenue producing endeavor.

We cannot control the climate. But, you’re correct. Being informed is a major step in the right direction.

1 Like

Been trying to follow as much as possible. The map on line shows just how bad this season in.

We should come together and help as much as needed.

Sending well wishes to everyone in the area.

Hearing word out of Medford (from relatives) that they have arrested someone there for setting as many as six fires. They (the relatives) did not know if the fire that burned hundreds of homes and businesses in Talent and Phoenix was one of them.

My nephew lives in the hills outside of Medford…said they are headed to stay with relatives …just got out In time with their horses. Not sure what will be left.

1 Like

Hope they will be safe.

1 Like

and now Qanon is starting to spread lies that Antifa started the fires

How do you know they didn’t?

Who knew? MACA!

2 Likes

Seems logical…but the methane.

1 Like

The Bundys could have saved them.

It’s CNN spreading that story by publishing the kooks at Q… They just love division!

Smoke if terrible out here in Pacific Northwest ATM. Couldn’t see Seattle Skyline from Mercer Island, Bellevue skyline was only visible one you got within 3 miles or so. Little orange haze but not raining ashes yet as it had in the past.

Then you have this idiot from BLM setting fires in Washington State.

The Medford Tribune has now dismissed those rumors.

https://mailtribune.com/news/top-stories/oregon-washington-officials-squash-rumors-of-arsonists-setting-fires

The wife’s relatives couldn’t even get the rumor right. The rumor was that six ANTIFA members were arrested for starting one fire, not that one was arrested for starting six fires. :smile: