California become the first state to allow college atheltes to profit off their names and likeness

College sport is a multi-billion dollar industry, and now the student are allowed to make some of that money.

SACRAMENTO —

California would allow college athletes to earn money from the use of their names, images and likenesses under a bill passed by the state Legislature on Wednesday and headed to Gov. Gavin Newsom.

The legislation has garnered national attention, with athletes such as NBA stars LeBron James and Draymond Green praising the potential for California to give college athletes a share of the windfall they help create for their universities and the National Collegiate Athletic Assn. The Senate gave final approval to Senate Bill 206 by Sen. Nancy Skinner (D-Berkeley) in a 39-0 vote. The Assembly passed the bill 73-0 on Monday.

But the NCAA has forcefully pushed back against the bill, saying it has the potential to kill amateur athletics if it becomes law. The NCAA sent Newsom a letter Wednesday calling the legislation “unconstitutional” and “harmful.”

Why not, to me the sport lost its appeal with all the big teams going down the “One and Done” route. It’s rare for any of them to stay past 1-2 seasons I never know the current line ups.

Good. Considering the amount of money the colleges and coaches make off the backs of these kids they deserve it.

And when the SEC starts losing high end recruits to California I see all those states jumping onboard as well.

5 Likes

It’s about time. Of course the NCAA is against it. Greedy little bastards.

Completely irrelevant to the topic, but thanks.

This is a good thing. Universities and coaches make millions off college athletes while the students get nothing but the cost of tuition, which is peanuts in comparison.

Straight up trying to claim it’s unconstitutional. Are you kidding me?

Once again proud of California for leading; this issue has long needed to be discussed, and this will do it.

Pure greed.

Precisely this.

Great news, this was signed today. First step in breaking apart the NCAA’s archaic grip on college athlete’s finances.

I’ve absolutely no problem with college athletes profiting of their name, image, and likeness.

I do wonder how the NCAA will react.

The notion of a “student athlete” is a complete farce for anyone who would benefit from this, and the NCAA knows it.

Student athletes can lose their eligibility for simply accepting movie tickets or a burger at Applebees. Meanwhile, universities, recruiters and coaches bag millions per year. Student athletes receiving monetary compensation is long over due.

2 Likes

Student librarians get paid and they don’t even have to risk concussions

I think it’s a farce to profit off of someone else’s name, image, and likeness and deny them the ability to do so, as well.

Not paying college athletes as employees, I get. That’s world’s different from taking away their ability to benefit from being themselves.

They will react by declaring those athletes ineligible and those schools ineligible to compete for championships.

That’s a possibility. But there are a lot of NCAA schools in Cali. I’m not sure the NCAA will want to take that big of a hit.

The NCAA is far less powerful than you think. For instance, the most historic football teams (Ivy League) could give two ■■■■■ about the NCAA, same with HBCU. They willingly start fragmenting themselves and it will all crumble.