CA Posters What’s Ahead for Disruptive Students?

None of these studies looked at why there are disproportionate rates, they simply point out that they exist. The studies also do not examine why the discipline is harsher, just that it is. If what is going on in Florida is any indication then the schools in CA will implement quota systems based off of population percentages and not off of previous ratios. Since the number of suspensions given to African-American students in the first nine weeks exceeded the quota of suspensions the school was supposed to have for the year, African-American students that fought, even to the point of putting people in the hospital, had in-school suspension, while any white student who starts a fight is sent home. 4th graders setting up a shoplifting ring to steal from the PIBS store, that’s a finger wagging. Get a group of your friends together to beat a fellow student senseless on the bus, well you will just have to have your parents bring you to school and pick you up.

Socio-economic status plays a huge part, but culture does as well. Politicians will refuse to deal with either of those issues so overcoming it will be thrown in the laps of teachers - it is their fault some parents don’t make enough money to support a family and some teach their children education is for chumps or that it is more important that they throw punches over minor offences than to turn and walk away.

Lol in high school, second to last day of Senior year (spring 2015), I got suspended for calling a teacher a “calculated, narcissistic bitch.” She totally deserved it, too, as she had humiliated me both in front of my peers and in front of my other teachers.

Suspending a student for falling asleep is a little extreme, IMO. But for talking back to a teacher, or calling them a name, like I did, is usually reasonable. Let’s see where this goes. Perhaps they could substitute meditation classes in place of suspension and in-house suspension.

2 Likes

Embarrassing a student in front of their peers lowers my respect for a teacher.

IMO Both sides of a story should be heard before any action is taken. If the student is falling asleep in class, why?

Some high school students are helping struggling families by working various jobs. Perhaps trying to fit their schoolwork in, they’re not getting much sleep.

Could it be neurological? Or obstructive sleep apnea, which disrupts sleep? Suspension in such instances, whatever the cause, IMO, is inappropriate.

Willful disobedience, what may be going on emotionally with that student? Is the teacher insulting on a personal level rather than dealing with the bad behaviors?

In any instance, even in school suspension, where the suspended are forced to concentrate on their class work, is preferable to their losing opportunities to learn.

1 Like

One student in my high school got in trouble for calling one teacher a “leathery bitch” on account her supposedly looking like she had tanned too much.

I liked the teacher in question.

1 Like