CA Posters What’s Ahead for Disruptive Students?

What does Governor Newsome have in mind instead for disruptive students?

Falling asleep in class is one matter—kid may be having a petit mal seizure & not be dozing off, but losing consciousness for a short time—but what about those students whose behavior truly interferes with others’ learning?

You are assuming that means they can’t be removed from the classroom. Not the case. They can still be removed from the primary classroom and placed into an alternative learning environment - let’s call it “In School Detention”.

I believe that if a student is suspended (i.e. kicked out of school) then the school looses attendance $$$. However having the disruptive student still coming to school in an alternative learning environment means they are still attending school so it doesn’t interrupt $$$.
.^^^^

1 Like

Falling asleep in class is a suspendable offense elsewhere? :flushed:

Never understood the purpose of suspension beyond the worse cases (fighting etc…).

Either expel them or don’t.

I’m with you on that.

I can understand taking the kid out for the rest of the day – and maybe even part of the next until parents come in and meet with some school official about the issue. Let the kid cool off. Bring in the parents, and design some consequence other than further impact to the kid’s educational process.

But what does a 5-day (for example) suspension serve? Address the issue and move forward!

(And if I were in charge, a repeat violation after meeting with the parents would result in expulsion.)

1 Like

When did they stop doing that?

Keeping the kid out of school, except in the most extreme cases, serves no purpose. You are not doing the student any favors by keeping them away from learning.

2 Likes

BTW: From the article:

“But data from the California Department of Education shows a disparity in who is getting suspended. Black students, while accounting for 5.6% of enrollment, made up 15.6% of all willful defiance suspensions in the 2017-18 school year. White students accounted for 20.2% of willful defiance suspensions while making up 23.2% of enrollment.”

The article seems to be trying to formulate a race bias here. On the surface the percentages might indicate that. But there is no attempt to connect those numbers to actual behavior. Maybe various races actually DO those percentages of “willful defiance”.

Just saying.

Falling asleep in class is mentioned in the linked article’s first paragraph.

Not sure what policies are in other states.

I agree with you.

However I’d also want the data to be correlated to socioeconomic status of the family unit.

I think you will find more correlation to economic status then to race.

Just focusing on one black and white aspect (pun intended) means you might be missing something.
.^^^^

Ditto single-parent versus two-parent households.

If there’s a racial component to this, it will likely show a stronger correlation between race and social and economic factors more than race and suspensions.

Maybe, but I also would not be surprise if school suspensions mimic the criminal justice system, where white kids and black kids commit the same offense but black kids get the most, or longer, suspensions.

When you expect a bias, you’ll find it. ( Shrug. )

The same factors influence crime, BTW.

Please go on.

1 Like

In my stated concern, I don’t see how socio economic factors change the fact that more black people (as a percentage) are sent to jail than white people for the same crime.

Your stated “concern” (which was only your stated guess) was about school suspensions.

See what I said in my post #12.

This has been studied, Guv.

Black kids are disciplined more strictly than white kids.

https://psmag.com/education/black-students-are-disproportionately-disciplined-in-public-schools

But this is an interesting read on the lack of discipline in schools

That’s just showing the same thing I pointed out before.

Are they disciplined because they did something to deserve discipline? (Meaning black kids act up more than whites.) Or are they disciplined because they are back?

Your links don’t address the reason for disproportionality. It just points it out.

WW raised the likelihood (and I concurred) of socioeconomic factors having more influence than mere race. (Suggesting that those socioeconomic factors are more concentrated in minority demographics.)

As an example, in a classroom of all one race (regardless of race), kids requiring discipline would be more concentrated among those from single-parent households and/or kids from lower-income households.

If those factors are more concentrated in a given racial demographic, then the suggestion is that need for discipline would be more concentrated in that demographic as well.

Disproportionately high suspension of black students takes place at least the 48 mainland United States:

And there are plenty of white single mothers on a level not much higher than those on the old Jerry Springer show here in the New England region.

If one group of students is going to be treated to more harsh discipline than another for the same offense, than school registration forms should not state a policy of non-discrimination based on race or ethnicity.