Businesses trying to get people to forget about food and buy luxuries!

A shock headline, but that’s what news media outlets seem to be doing these days.

Businesses are starting to send out ads urging people to spend their stimulus money on that business’s wares.

These businesses are clearly not targeting the poor with their ads, but that percentage of the middle class and above who are getting the stimulus check even though they don’t need it. (i.e. everyone who is still working, whether remotely or otherwise).

But there’s this big uproar against these businesses, that are obviously just trying to stave off bankruptcy, that they’re trying to make poor people forget about buying food for their families and paying off debt, but instead buying luxuries.

Are these news media reports demonizing struggling businesses, or are they right to be outraged?

Fashion Noval dress sale

ANd I just got an email from Camping World RV telling me to “keep my stimulus money.”

$0 down and $0 payment for 90 days on a new travel trailer.

Frankly 'm considering that one…

1 Like

1st -I was against this kind of check from the start for this very reason. Thank God Shumer got the unemployment part in there ($600 extra a week for unemployed). THAT is what we need.
Sending $1200 to everyone who made under a $$ amount was dumb. This isnt 2008, where the issue was money was tight so people stopped spending.
60%+ of Americans are making the same amount of money today that they were in January. Why are we sending them $1200??/

Selling luxury goods is completely fine.

Stimulus-focused ad campaigns are tacky and target the irresponsible.

My firm just laid out projections and impact (lower bonuses, hiring freeze, but no lay-offs). So we have people now with lower expenses and higher confidence. Good time to buy a tractor or a new office chair, assuming a 9ish month emergency fund.

For people with reserves and confidence in their positions, it’s a kindness to spend. The guy who builds hot tubs is just as good a guy as the one who milks cows.

Exactly.

I didn’t need the money. My parents didn’t need the money.

Most of the people I know didn’t need the money, but we all got it anyway.

1 Like

You should listen to the 4/1 Freakonomics podcast - you’ll hear your argument made and also the push/pull of speed of delivery versus efficient targeting.

1 Like

And now evanelists are getting into the act.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of this article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/louisiana-megachurch-pastor-claims-parishioner-did-not-die-of-coronavirus/ar-BB12L6fu?ocid=spartanntp

On Wednesday, Spell urged Americans to donate their coronavirus stimulus checks to American evangelists including himself, posting a video to YouTube asking for the money and attempting to popularize the hashtag #PastorSpellStimulusChallenge.

“I’m donating my entire stimulus, $1,200,” Spell said. “My wife is donating her stimulus, $1,200. My son is donating his stimulus, $600.”

STIMULUS money. Stimulate the economy.

Send it back.

I detest these mega churches and they are a blight on our society. They peddle their wares to individuals who are taken in by their lies and deceit.

So is Nancy Pelosi trying to get people to forget about food and donate to her?

I’m not sure what your point is here. Every business in the country is trying to figure out a way to capitalize on the stimulus.

Is Pelosi the only politician fundraising? Where does she say support me over buying food?

Where do the OP show that businesses are promoting luxury items over food. Thats the basis for the thread.

Ice cream is a luxury food? Do you think Trump has a $200 refrigerator?

This fake outrage makes no sense.

But any time a politician or someone wealthy tries to act like just one of the people it backfires.