Britons would now vote to stay in EU, want second referendum

Well America is getting something of a mulligan because while we’re exhibiting all the same symptoms of hyper-power decline, at least militarily speaking no one else wants the job. Not even China.

1 Like

For the time being perhaps. But the longer-term outlook may have things changing on this front, and in particular with China. They always have the long-game-plan in mind.

They’re slowly moving in that direction, mind.

2 Likes

BUILD THAT WALL!

The Commonwealth is just excuse to remember a once great empire and have some athletic games that no one else pays any attention to either the games or the old empire.

The Commonwealth Games should be a memorial that England’s greatest mistake of the last 150 years was entering WW I.

Yeah but even then, their military hasn’t really left their territory since the 1970s when Vietnam of all countries straight up whipped them in a standup fight. Their army spends most of its time making toasters and ■■■■■ I guess they like to punk out Taiwan from time to time.

Why not? I would think that avoiding the alienation of a huge percentage of the populace would be a main goal of any government.

I’d look to their activities in Africa over the next half century. I don’t see them staying out of that continent. Pretty sure they already have a base there now.

Getting more aggressive with some of their more direct neighbours too.

Aren’t the Remain voters alienated by the now proven lies of the Leave side.

Actually I might have been optimistic with the half century time-frame lol.

1 Like

Economically I’m totally with you, but none of the other great powers have the ability to project military force on a global scale or even on a regional scale for extended periods of time. I mean no one likes to mention it, but just messing around with bits of Ukraine and Georgia and the whole Chechnya thing inside Russia has virtually broken their military.

I mean, you guys are basically number two and aren’t even playing in the same sport as us, let alone league.

We’re not even in the top 5 anymore in terms of spending.

It’s slow, but it’s happening. The Chinese only look to be ramping up.

The economic angle is only to get the foot in the door.

■■■■ 'em.

Ingrates in the UK didn’t know they had a good thing.

EU should kick 'em to the kerb.

Give 'em a hard, hard, hard Brexit.

Sure, but that’s very different than a government ignoring a vote and holding elections until it gets the result it wants.

That’s really not the case. The negations to leave have revealed the vast gap in the Leave truth of what leaving will mean. Since a second vote is possible, and the real consequences are now know, a more accurate decision can be made by the voters.

You need to remember, the Leave people sold this as money saving move and it’s becoming clear it’s not going to be one.

But there’s another side, literally the ‘‘Rule Britannia’’ types that don’t want any thing to do with Europe and don’t care how bad a hit the economy takes. These are mostly 60+ types, the queen and empire mentality that live in a hazy past. The worst thing you do is call these people ‘‘european’’

So now the economic types are realizing the bait and switch the ‘‘Rule Britannia’’ types have pulled and are agitating for a second vote which Leave doesn’t want because the truth is out.

If there is a second referendum and the vote is to stay, then is there a third referendum if the polls change again?
Did the original referendum include a clause making the results subject to changing polls?

The original referendum was non-binding, parliament can ignore it if it wants.

If there were a second referendum, it wouldn’t be stay or leave.

Corbyn is famously Eurosceptic. Many think he’s actually in favor of Brexit, though he won’t say so.

Maybe if the Brits learned to speak proper English, like us, they wouldn’t have to vote twice.