BREAKING: Trump Picks Hostage Negotiator Robert O’Brien as New National Security Advisor

Originally published at: BREAKING: Trump Picks Hostage Negotiator Robert O’Brien as New National Security Advisor | Sean Hannity

President Trump officially named his new National Security Advisor Wednesday morning; selecting international hostage envoy Robert O’Brien to replace John Bolton.

“I am pleased to announce that I will name Robert C. O’Brien, currently serving as the very successful Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs at the State Department, as our new National Security Advisor. I have worked long & hard with Robert. He will do a great job!” posted the President on social media.

I am pleased to announce that I will name Robert C. O’Brien, currently serving as the very successful Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs at the State Department, as our new National Security Advisor. I have worked long & hard with Robert. He will do a great job!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 18, 2019

Unlike other high-level cabinet positions, Trump’s selection does not require Senate confirmation.

“O’Brien joined the administration in May 2018 and serves as the Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs at the State Department. O’Brien, who served under Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, led the U.S. government’s diplomatic efforts on overseas hostage-related matters, working closely with families of American hostages, as well as working with the administration on developing and implementing hostage recovery policy and strategy,” reports Fox News.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.