BREAKING: Parkland School Deputy Fired, Taken into Custody for ‘Neglect of Duties’ During High School Shooting

Originally published at: BREAKING: Parkland School Deputy Fired, Taken into Custody for ‘Neglect of Duties’ During High School Shooting | Sean Hannity

The Broward County school resource officer who was harshly criticized for failing to defend students during the mass shooting at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has been fired from his position and taken into custody.

“As Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony announced the firing of former Marjory Stoneman Douglas High school resource officer Scot Peterson and BSO Sgt. Brian Miller for ‘neglect of duties’ during the Parkland high school tragedy, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement arrested Peterson Tuesday,” reports the Miami Herald.

“Peterson was charged with seven counts of child neglect, three counts of culpable negligence and one count of perjury in connection with the Feb. 14, 2018, mass murder of 14 students and three adults at the Parkland school by Nikolas Cruz. Six of the seven child neglect counts are second-degree felonies, the Broward State Attorney’s Office said, with the seventh being a misdemeanor ‘because the child was not severely injured.’ The rest of the charges are misdemeanors,” adds the newspaper.

BSO fires former Parkland school deputy Scot Peterson, then takes him into custody.

— Miami Herald (@MiamiHerald) June 4, 2019

“The FDLE investigation shows former Deputy Peterson did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting that killed 17 children, teachers and staff and injured 17 others,” FDLE Commissioner Rick Swearingen said in a written statement. “There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives.”

“Peterson was the school resource officer at MSD High School during the school shooting. The investigation shows Peterson refused to investigate the source of gunshots, retreated during the active shooting while victims were being shot and directed other law enforcement who arrived on scene to remain 500 feet away from the building,” adds the release.

Read the full report at the Miami Herald.